I've been struggling on this progression for 4+ weeks now and it just doesn't seem to be improving. I force my way through the last few reps or need to take a break on the last few reps of the 5th set pretty much every time, so I'd like to figure out the weakness and fix it.
Since my phone got knocked over (public gym...) during the 3rd and unfortunately, 5th set, the key set to watch here is the 4th. My form does start to break down noticeably on that set so I'd recommend skipping straight to it; about 4:35 into the video.
Thanks for any input!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
RC/PE2 Form Check
Started by Bryan Morton, February 5, 2017 · 9 Replies · 274 Views
Hi Bryan,
I have reviewed the video that you posted and there are a couple of areas you could work on improving. Firstly I would like to see you tighten up your legs and feet (pointed toes) as tension should be maintained throughout the entire body from feet right through to your hands.
Secondly you need to slow your repetitions down so that your strength will build throughout the entire range of motion. If you re-watch the example video in your course, the movement is done in a very deliberate fashion. As I said this is done to build strength throughout the entire range of motion not just a strong pull from the bottom.
In regards to feeling stuck for a period of weeks and not progressing, this is also something that is perfectly natural. A lot of people's initial progress is made through the body gaining more neural efficiency in that particular movement pattern. If you actually have strength deficits these adaptations can take longer. If you are consistent with your training, working at the correct tempos you will be making progress even if you can't see it every workout.
Have faith in the program, work hard and understand that gymnastics strength training is a marathon and not a sprint. You are welcome to keep posting videos for review - we are here to assist you in your GB journey!
Great effort, Bryan.
Darin nailed the key pointers that are going to help you master 5x9.
Slow and steady the whole way.
In addition to the advice of the coach's above, the TRX straps could be making it unnecessarily challenging. I used some in the gym before I ordered rings to use at home, and I had to use a lot of energy pulling them apart since they were tethered together so close to my body. If the strap and you're using are like the ones I had at my gym, rings might be easier on you.
I'm stuck on 4x 6 so don't feel bad. We will just keep working. I hope that lady found her keys
@Malcolm Watters Great attitude to have. Keep it up!
14 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:@Malcolm Watters Great attitude to have. Keep it up!
Don't get me wrong, I like to progress but even if I stay the same when I get done with an f7 workout I'm whipped. It's good just knowing you had a great workout. It's a solid 1-1 1/2 hrs of solid work.
Thanks for posting your video, @Bryan Morton. I'm pretty close to the same spot as you and the feedback from the coaches on this was helpful for me. I'm actually about to go to the gym to do my upper body workout now. Also it's cool that you're using the TRX setup for this. My gym doesn't have rings but does have TRX. I bought my own rings, and now I see that sometimes if I happen to forget them at home all will be fine!
For years when I did weights or body weight workouts I was focussed on reps and weight. Now I realize how silly that is - and I am focusing on the quality of the movement + slowing it down as suggested here. It's helping me build strength. It's awesome.
Keep going man! You will get to the next level.
Thank you everyone for the feedback! I've been adjusting and have dropped back to 4x9 with a focus on better form. I'll continue to trust the programming and make slow and steady progress over time!
Great to hear, Bryan!
Keep us posted on your progress