This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T2.1 Form check

Started by Affan Osman, February 5, 2017 · 14 Replies · 171 Views

Affan Osman

I am able to do 5x5r but not sure if form is good enough to progress. Can I please get some feedback. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Affan,

Thanks for posting. I have some suggestions for you:

-Continue striving for a smoother, more continuous roll. Try to roll from hollow, through arch, and back to hollow with minimal pause. 

-As you roll through the arch, work to lift high, not allowing your chest to touch the ground. Be sure to also keep your shoulder blades up high off the ground, never allowing contact. 

-Keep your feet together and knees/elbows straight. You want to extend your body long throughout these rolls. 

Affan Osman

Thanks @Everett Carroll. Currently shoulder does touch the ground. I will continue working on these! 

Everett Carroll

Excellent Affan. Sounds great!

Tanya Hill

This is one that definitely takes time. Keep up the good work Affan. 

Patriq Hansson

Nice work Affan! 
I just want to shoot in a question here to those of you who know how it's supposed to be done. 

Am I mistaken or did Affan only do half a rep in the video above? 
Looking at the instruction video I am under the impression that 1 rep = roll from back to stomach, from back to stomach again, and then roll back twice to where you came from? 

It might be that I've been doing twice the amount of work needed. 
Not that it's a bad thing though. 

Kai Ewert

there is a thread or two on the subject of counting the reps on this. the answers were so confusing that I forget what the answer was... IIRC, a full roll (stomach->back->stomach) to one side plus reversing it the other way is one rep. 

the course video doesn't necessarily show one rep of an exercise, the number shown varies

 

Affan Osman

From what I remember reading is:

back->stomach->back is one rep

 In other words it takes two reps to get back to original starting position. 

Kai Ewert

No that's half a rep. Increase your confusion and then get relief in the form of an answer by reading these threads :):

Affan Osman

Ah ok. So apparently I have been doing half the reps :). On a  positive note I have been increasing my volume and built up to 6x10r which I thought was 60 reps, but they are a total of 30 reps actually! And far from perfect reps if I may add. Oh well I will continue adding volume gradually.

This brings another question. In the video the athlete goes 360 twice before reversing direction. Due to space limitation I reverse after one 360. I hope thats not an issue. Although I may be able to restructure my home to make more space available :) 

Kai Ewert

The video demonstration is just to show the correct form, not the prescribed number of reps or how exactly to do them. So your method is totally fine, no need to rearrange your house.

 

Affan Osman

Hi, can I get some feedback on this? My form is improving on this. Is this good enough to proceed? Thanks!

 

 

Kai Ewert

Great improvement. So much smoother!

Everett Carroll

Hey Affan,

Awesome improvement here! 

On 2/6/2017 at 8:52 AM, Everett Carroll said:

-As you roll through the arch, work to lift high, not allowing your chest to touch the ground. Be sure to also keep your shoulder blades up high off the ground, never allowing contact. 

-Keep your feet together and knees/elbows straight. You want to extend your body long throughout these rolls. 

 

Keep working on the two points I quoted from last month. Keep at it!

Affan Osman

Thanks guys! I will keep working on it. I really like this exercise, it's fun and good for both core and back!