This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar

Started by UDERSH MAHESH, February 5, 2017 · 1 Replies · 61 Views

UDERSH MAHESH

Hi. Currently working through handstand 1 and have questions around the "Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar" exercise. 

1. What is the weight of the bar that I should start with? I'm currently using a dowel stick weighing approx 1kg.

2. How far apart should my hands be? (Note that when I have my hands shoulder width apart I don't have the mobility to keep my hands and the bar vertical whilst leaning forward. Its only when I separate my hands greater than shoulder width that I am able to complete the set)

3. In order to progress to the next level (i.e smiley face) do I have get my hands shoulder width apart and then be able to hold for the required 3 x 10s or is it fine to have my hands greater than shoulder width apart.

4. In terms of my shoulders and hands, whilst the bar is overhead, should I be internally rotating my hands and shoulders or neutral?

5. Should my scapula and shoulders be abducting up toward the ceiling?

Pauline Taube

Hi Udersh,

Thanks for reaching out, good questions!

The weight you should aim for mastery is around 2,5-5kg. We reccomend to start light and gradually increase the load as your mobility improves.

Your hands should be shoulder width apart. It's completely normal to start wider, but you need to stick with this progression until you're able to hold your hands shoulder width :) 

While the bar is overhead you should elevate your shoulders (shrug up). Your hands should not internally rotate. 

Hope this helped, feel free to submit a form check anytime to get some personal feedback! We'd love to see your Handstand progress :)