This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Extra stretch/mobility work

Started by Robert Lopez, February 5, 2017 · 6 Replies · 255 Views

Robert Lopez

Hello,

I am currently doing F1, H1 and now the stretch series (1x per week).

I know that Coach recommends only doing each stretch once per week, and that F1 and H1 already includes some mobility (the iM elements), but should I be doing any extra stretch or mobility work on top of this? Maybe some warm up from the fundamentals course work?

I would like to get more efficient in my pike and pancake so that I will be prepared for pike press to HS and then pancake press to HS, once I start H2 (after completing my H1 course).

Thanks!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Robert,

You are welcome to work Fundamentals into your daily schedule. I recommend using these exercises as a warm-up and cool-down before and after your workouts. Your main focus should be the Stretch, Foundations and Handstand courses, however, going back to the basics is always a great idea.

Pauline Taube

Hi Robert,

I second Jeffrey's suggestion. You can also pick some of the stretches you struggle with from the Stretch series and do them as a cooldown after your workout. 

Looking forward to see your progress for pike and pancake! Feel free to share :D 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Robert,

Awesome advise from Jeffrey and Pauline. Warmup and Cooldowns are very important. You can add a little bit of stretching and mobility work during those phases. Good luck with your training. :)

Dorian Brown

What I've been doing is daily limbering. I pick 5 stretches from the stretch series that I struggle with and do them about 4 or 5 times a week in the morning or when I'm watching TV/ working on my laptop. I don't try to gain new range of motion I just sit in the position for a min or two. 

Robert Lopez
2 hours ago, Dorian Brown said:

What I've been doing is daily limbering. I pick 5 stretches from the stretch series that I struggle with and do them about 4 or 5 times a week in the morning or when I'm watching TV/ working on my laptop. I don't try to gain new range of motion I just sit in the position for a min or two. 

Good idea! I will start doing this! Thanks.

Julia Quigley

What has worked well for me is identifying some restrictions and then consulting with a professional (my PT in my case) for some supplementary exercises.