This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What about avocado and other nuts?

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, February 3, 2017 · 8 Replies · 182 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi people,

I m on step 2 and just wondering what happens with avocados? Are they a good source of fat for the breakfast? Or at least mixed with other fat?

I have another doubt about nuts. What about almonds, peanuts or sesame? Are they nutrional? It s what I eat the most. I can implement the recommended ones for sure, but would like to eat the above. Should they always be roasted? Sometimes I eat raw almonds. I thought raw where better.

I would apreciate profesional and amateur advice!

Jeff Serven

Avocados are great. Nuts are okay. Its more of what they are roasted in as oppose to the fact they are roasted. 

Adrian Theopold

Until now I roast my nuts in the oven without fat (Cashew, Almonds, Sunflower seeds, Hazelnuts,...) but will defenitily make some changes to the selection after the lesson.

Question would be, is roasting beneficial or bad or maybe nothing?

 

Btw, you were mentioning flax seeds in the lesson and that they don't taste really well. Have to agree, but one should try them roasted as they get a very nice (still distinct) flavour.

Everett Carroll
On 2/3/2017 at 2:39 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Its more of what they are roasted in as oppose to the fact they are roasted. 

I agree with Jeff. I believe what he is getting at is if they are roasted in a ton of oil then they aren't so good.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I went shoping today and have one question. I never heard what "real cheese" is. I never knew about pasteurized or unpasteurized  cheese. I went to an ecological shop and they didn t have any idea about it and it s the biggest in my city. They told me that certainly their cheeses are done with at least some pasteurized milk. I don t understand very well this point of real cheese and how to explain someone. If its not written pasteurized then is straight away good? Are there some cheeses that are always good?

By the way I saw macadamia nuts in the shop for the first time in my life. 10 euros for 150 grams!! Come on! The might be very nutritios but I can t affor that, so I choose nuts, brazil nuts and wallnuts that were at half price.

Jeff Serven

Think cheese in a spray can, thats not "real cheese". Pasteurization isn't that big of a deal in comparison

Antonio Alías Montoya

Oh my god! I didn t know such a thing existed! I had to google it because I didn t know what you meant by spray can cheese! Here in Spain never saw something similar, just spread cheese that is also not real cheese. No problem, I just like real fatty cheese.

Adrian Theopold

I would assume that in Spain they also sell raw milk cheese. This is cheese from unpasteurized milk, though the milk is still heated to some extend in the process. For example parmigiano reggiano is always raw milk cheese.

Here in Germany my cheese dealer (okay, sounds a litte bit like drugs) on the local market always has different sorts of raw milk cheese.

I don't have a clue about the healthy benefits, they simply taste good.

Antonio Alías Montoya
5 hours ago, Adrian Theopold said:

I would assume that in Spain they also sell raw milk cheese. This is cheese from unpasteurized milk, though the milk is still heated to some extend in the process. For example parmigiano reggiano is always raw milk cheese.

Here in Germany my cheese dealer (okay, sounds a litte bit like drugs) on the local market always has different sorts of raw milk cheese.

I don't have a clue about the healthy benefits, they simply taste good.

I have to find a good cheese dealer in order to get some good "stuff" for myself :P Hahaha, jokes apartly it s good to know parmigiano reggiano is always raw because I like it and it takes me to a "high state"... of nutrition.