This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBPPE1 form check (updated)

Started by Chris Harvey, February 3, 2017 · 9 Replies · 127 Views

Chris Harvey

PLEASE SEE MY UPDATED FORM CHECK IN THE FOURTH POST

I am asking what the best scapular movement for HBPPE1:

The first push up, is my scapular quite retracted. I let my shoulder to roll backward when I descend

The later push ups, I deliberately stick my elbow to the body, my scapular is less retracted, is that movement more correct?

Noted that I do not feel my chest working in both ways. I never feel much on my chest

Pauline Taube

Hi Chris,

When performing push-ups you want to keep Your shoulders depressed and PROTRACTED. Also make sure to keep the elbows in as you're currently doing :) 

Please submit another video from the side so that we can ensure your body line. 

Keep working on it ;) 

Jeffrey Bittner

Great suggestion from Pauline. Sending in a side view will help us give you better feedback. It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like you can get even more protraction at the top of your reps. Really get those scaps moving!

Alessandro Mainente

IN the top position shoulder blades need to be protracted (flared out) and in the bottom a little retraction. the fact that you do not feel them in chest it is a consequence of the scpulae activation which leads to more shoulder and triceps dominant exercises rather than chest. in fact the benchpress needs to be retracted all the time from the beginning to the end of the pushing movement.

Chris Harvey

This is my latest HBP, please give comment:)

Chris Harvey

deleted

Pauline Taube

Good job Chris, nice position and angle of your arms. Make sure that you protract your shoulders in the top position of every rep. You also need to engage your core and maintain a posterior pelvic tilt throughout the movement to keep a strong and straight bodyline. 

You're doing a good job on your iM. Make sure to keep your body straight while swinging the arms loose :) 

Chris Harvey
17 minutes ago, Pauline Taube said:

Good job Chris, nice position and angle of your arms. Make sure that you protract your shoulders in the top position of every rep. You also need to engage your core and maintain a posterior pelvic tilt throughout the movement to keep a strong and straight bodyline. 

You're doing a good job on your iM. Make sure to keep your body straight while swinging the arms loose :) 

Thanks Pauline,:)

question:

when i ppt, should my body line be totally straight, or slightly curved backward?

 

 

Chris Harvey

Also, I have some stiffness in my traps after doing push up. I tried to not use my traps to push. But it is still a problem.

Pauline Taube

When in ppt your body should be straigt from your low back and down. Since you keep your scapula protracted your body line will be a bit hollow. Try focusing on pulling your ribs in at the same time as squizing your glutes :)