This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand: Hand position/grip

Started by Chad Moffitt, February 3, 2017 · 2 Replies · 67 Views

Chad Moffitt

Hi team,

A GB friend of mine was talking about hand positions for Handstand; he's been trying a different way of gripping the ground.  I'd love to hear people's thoughts, and I'd especially love to see photos of people's hands -how you do it.  Normally in my progressions I just put my hand on the ground without much additional thought and grab the ground somewhat (#1).  The approach he described is sucking the knuckle to the ground while pushing the finger pads into the ground with a kind of smearing action back toward the palm.

hand-position.jpg.4f7368c795e22db1b50cdf22006b9f7a.jpg

Thoughts?  Your technique focus points? Photos of your hands?

 

Pauline Taube

Hey Chad,

Great question. By pressing the knuckle into the ground (pic2) it's easier to find a balance point. This tip helped me a lot :) 

Tanya Hill

Essentially your handstand balance all comes from the wrist and hands. Pressure will shift from the knuckles to the palm of the hand. 

Picture two is the correct hand placement.