This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overwhelmed!

Started by Bilal KABBANI, February 1, 2017 · 9 Replies · 201 Views

Bilal KABBANI

Hello, 

I've been on Foundation 1 for a few months and enjoying it a lot despite slow progress. I ventured into other courses as per coach Sommer's "recommended schedule" and it started becoming really overwhelming.

  • The 3 stretch series are great but i expected them to start slow like foundation. I can't do most of the movements so it ends up being really frustrating as it's not clear what would be the beginner variations of a certain exercises.
  • The movement series is also difficult to understand.  There are not technical tips nor clear definition of reps. 
  • Handstand is more straight forward so no issues there. 

My question is should i be focusing on foundation 1 and handstand only for now? I noticed clear flexibility/mobility issues when i tried doing the thoracic bridge and middle split series - super tight in my inner thighs and i can barely sit straight in a straddle. And don't get me started about the straddle + leaning to one side with arm stretching overhead to touch toes!    

Also to achieve maximum progress, is it enough to do 3 days per week: 1 day core, 1 day upper body, and 1 day lower body + handstand? What would be an optimal schedule in my case?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Bilal, well:

-my suggestion to improve a bit the progress if you feel you can do more work it is on 4 days:

1)upper body 

2)core and lower body + legs + handstand

3) rest

4) like 1)

5)like 2

OR

you can perform the 3 days twice a week.

-in the case of stretch series, on the main page move on FITNESS>COURSE LIBRARY> STRETCH SERIES

then from here select the course and click on the second icona, you will see all the exercises listed with a proposed "scaled version"

-for the movement if recommend to read Coach's answer here

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/26520-starting-movement/

Pauline Taube

Hi Bilal,

Thanks for reaching out. Happy to hear that you are enjoying your Foundation training. Remember that it takes patience and consistency to build a solid Foundation and work your way through the progressions to master the very basics. 

Great tips from Alex, I would reccomend to study your course library before doing the Stretch series and even your Foundation training. 

It's completely normal to not be able to perform the whole series at once. If you're unsure about form or have further questions on scaling, feel free to reach out again.

Also feel free to post pictures/videos of your progress. This can motivate both yourself and others in the GB community :) 

Chris Harvey

I would agree that the stretch series, especially the T bridge and middle split, is very hard to follow. Every stretches deserve a tutorial

Pauline Taube

Hi Chris,

Every Stretch for all of the Stretch series has a tutorial in your Course Library.

I agree with you, the exercises in these courses can be humbeling. I reccomend to study your Course Library before doing the follow along :) 

Bilal KABBANI

Thanks everyone. That's helpful. 

Regarding the schedule, need to probe again on optimal schedule -i'm a father of 2 little boys and i have a full time job :) 

If i go by Coach Sommer's recommendation, each workout (core, upper, HS, etc) would be done only one a week. Should i be doing less variety and more frequency (aim to do core, upper and lower twice weekly each) or should i go for breadth? What's the learning/best practice to achieve fast progress - not that i'm not patient i really am but i also want to see progress.

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Bilal KABBANI, if you want to achieve fast progress then you have to give time to it. Think of long term commitment and you should focus on consistency and frequency. Do what you can with your schedule but be consistent with it. In my personal experience, I had to sacrifice work and time with my kid to achieve what I have today. I am not saying that you copy me but I did what it takes and I am happy with my decision. I went from full time job to freelance. Awesome advise from Alessandro and Pauline on workout schedule. :)

Pauline Taube

Bilal, unfortunately there is not ONE way that will give you the best progress. Everyone's ability to recover are different. If you can make time I would suggest to try Alex's suggestion and also add the Stretch series :) 

Please let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions. 

Benjamin Nutt

Hi @Bilal KABBANI! 

In response to your questions on the Stretch Series: 

I was also struggling with the Stretch series for a while. I am massively inflexible, and I was performing a lot of the movements incorrectly for a while.

What helped me is exactly what people have suggested here: Go into your Course Library, select the Stretch series, and look at the "Scaled" versions. Those videos have brought so much clarity into the movements and the course. They have cleared up how to get started on movements that I felt unable to perform. For example, I also struggled sitting in a straddle when I began. The scaling videos demonstrate that you can sit on top of one, or even two yoga blocks, which reduces some of the stress of the position. Eventually, you'll get good at doing it on two blocks, so you reduce down to one, then you get good at that, and then hey! You're sitting in a straddle on the floor!

The point is that you begin from where you begin. We're doing the stretch course because we're tight in the first place, right? There is a square one for you to start from, no matter what your level!

Pauline Taube

Great to hear that you're progressing Benjamin. Most of us have learned by doing exercises incorrectly. That's why it's extremely helpful to study the course library and also film yourself doing the movements to ensure correct form. 

You're absolutely right about starting from square one. Please keep us updated on your progress! I'd love to see your straddle progress :)