Slight elbow discomfort

Started by Guest, February 4, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,769 Views

Guest

Hi guys! I'm experiencing slight discomfort in/around my left elbow (triceps insertion). It's not exactly painful, and it's not always there but I notice it mainly when the elbow is bent, with some isometric contraction of the biceps and triceps. I don't notice it while doing strength work. I don't think it's tendonitis but I'm not sure whether it's just a triggerpoint near the triceps insertion which causes a general feeling of discomfort in the area, or it's something worse which could be caused by training? What do you guys think?

After countless small overuse injuries during my capoeira training (and knee surgery on one of my menisci) I've become a bit paranoid and I tend to listen to my body very carefully. So I figured I'd better ask here, to see if this sounds familiar to anyone :)

Blairbob

So it hurts when you do dips and pseudo planche pushups? Does it hurt when you do tuck planches?

Guest

It didn't exactly hurt but it wasn't comfortable either... the funny thing is, it was bothering me for a couple of days after I pushed myself quite hard (greasing the groove can be intense as well ;)) but now it seems to be gone. Maybe it's something like 'growing pains' only then caused by connective tissue that's adapting to this type of strength training?

I'm glad that apparently nobody thinks it's something bad. I guess I'll just have to keep on paying attention to my elbows and progress in a slow and controlled manner.

Daniel Jorgensen

I believe rest is your friend :)

Is the pain/discomfort specifically located around number 17/18 on this picture?

131.jpg

If, then I'm experiencing the same at the moment. Hurts when doing straight arm work and pressing from a low angle in the elbow.

Think it comes from work done with a slight rotational force. Mine started this time after some days with heavy BL work(tuck, flat back and straddle half) with false/inverted grip. And I've experienced it a while ago from GTG chins up with neutral/parallel grip.

In these two exercises I imagine there to be an external rotational force in the humeris as well as the flexion in the arm - this combo (when not used to it) result in our pain ;)

We ought to rest ;)

Joshua Naterman

And remember that GTG is not meant to be super intense. That's why it works. Low volume and moderate intensity allows high frequency without over-reaching or overtraining, and helps protect from injury, but it has to be kept in check. You can't expect to GTG with things you can only do one of for like 8 reps throughout the day, 5 days a week without getting some sort of injury at the very least. It's just too much stress on the connective tissues, if nothing else. That's why I don't GTG with muscle ups and won't for a long time. I'm nowhere near strong enough to be able to handle that, even though I can do two slow muscle ups on the long rings with very little problem.