Hi All, Just catching up on Robb Wolf podcasts and came across the one with Coach Sommer. So glad I did. I am a 58 year old woman who did 3 day per week strength and olympic lifts work with a good coach for almost 4 years. I feel like I really improved on my strength in those years, but about 1 1/2 years ago, pulled a hamstring muscle in my right leg just bending over, which can still bother me today if I carry a load low and in front of me (like a bale of hay, for example) for a distance or have to hike up a long hill without stopping. I particularly felt it doing cleans and snatches, and then developed some piriformis issues, so decided that maybe olympic lifting was not where I wanted to stay. I am not interested in being hurt - I want to be healthy and strong. I have always been strong but also pretty inflexible. I now have a home gym where I reduced the weights some from where I was and still do back and front squats, presses, deadlifts, and benches, none of which bother the hamstring at all. Hearing about this program was like fate - exactly what I wanted and definitely need. I am on Day 4 and loving every minute of it. I can get into position pretty well with Crab but can't move worth a darn, and Ape is a big challenge to get the heels down, despite all the years of squats. Good news is wrist mobility is great and the body positions are not too bad. Looking forward to the entire series and moving into Foundations next. Thanks for the program!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Starting Days 1-6
Started by Laurie Donaldson, February 1, 2017 · 7 Replies · 132 Views
Hi Laurie,
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!
Sorry to hear about your hamstring injury. You're definitely on the right track with Fundamentals. This course will help you discover weaknesses and imbalances before moving onto the other courses. I've also had a hamstring injury that lasted for a very long time (over two years). By consistently working on mobility and doing the Stretch series (never push through pain when stretching), it eventually recovered. I had lots of tightness from lifting too, when you start correcting imbalances you'll start to feel better overall.
Please keep us posted on your progress and feel free to reach out again if you have any questions
Hi Laurie,
Welcome to the community!
Thanks all! And sorry about the double post. Sometimes our work internet can be balky so I did not know the first send went through. Looking forward to progressing!
Hi Laurie,
Welcome to the GB community.
We look forward to seeing your progress.
Hi Laurie,
Thanks for sharing your story. Keep us posted on your results with the program and feel free to reach out if you ever need any assistance.
I am new to the forms I have a weak rotator cuff , and I am following the fundamental practice how can strength the right rotator cuff so get back to strengthen the shoulders and movements like doing push-ups and pull-ups that I can only do one two at best . But right I can't do push-ups that my doctors too do stretches that help to strengthen the arm it seems it is taking a long time to heal do you any stretches that will help to build the strength back in the rotator cuff please give feed back and thank you
Hi Mike,
Thank you for reaching out and welcome to GymnasticBodies!
If you're dealing with an injury I'd highly reccomend to work closely with a physio or other medical professional before starting any training regime. How is the Fundamentals going for you so far? This course will help you discover weaknesses/imbalances and will make you more aware of possible limitations when starting the other courses.
When you finish the Fundamentals you can start the Foundation One course. This course have progressions to master push-ups and pull-ups and also exercise to build strength and mobility in the shoulder girdle