This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

"Tennis leg" they call it.

Started by Mitch Brown, February 1, 2017 · 2 Replies · 36 Views

Mitch Brown

4 days in to starting the foundation course, I went out to hit some tennis balls with a friend (I haven't played in a long while) and I tore a muscle in my calf going for a ball. Ug. 

The doc didn't know how long it'll take to heal, maybe 4 weeks. I iced it initially, and I have it in an ace bandage for compression. Staying off it as much as I can.

I just picked up the GB program Fundamentals Day 5 after a few days off, and actually I can do most of it. Only the ape calls for flexing my calf muscle and hamstring. Most everything else, I can point my toes and the muscle isn't stressed.

So I'll try to keep up as best I can.

Clearly I need to improve my mobility. Tight muscles break.

Tanya Hill

Hi Mitch, 

Sorry to hear about your calf. Injuries happen to the best of us and in the long recovery process you gain so much more body awareness. 

Icing it is a great idea. I would also do some heat pads to increase the blood flow for a faster healing process. Keep up with your fundamentals and do what you can in the foundation course. 

Id also work seated ankle circles to bring blood flow to the calf. Never work through pain so take it light. 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about your accident. 

Good to hear that you're able to perform the exercises in Fundamentals without experiencing pain. Avoid painful movement. Improving mobility requires patience and consistency but you're definitely on the right track with Fundamentals. 

Hope you heal well, please keep us updated on your progress and healing process. Looking forward to follow your training on the forum :)