This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How big can a meal go?

Started by Stuart McFarlane, January 31, 2017 · 4 Replies · 84 Views

Stuart McFarlane

Team,

i had to get up extra early today to travel for work and after breakfast am unlikely to be able to eat again for about 8 hours. What's the best strategy here?

Eating a huge breakfast? I assume there is a point where this becomes useless.  E.g. Adding an extra egg or two to your salmon and eggs breakfast will certainly keep you satiated for a bit longer but eating your entire daily calorific allowance for breakfast won't keep you satiated all day like eating it across 3 meals would (and you would be uncomfortably full!)

I'd assume a lot of work has been done on this with things like Ramadan.  To be explicit, unlike Ramadan, I have access to water etc so is there an ideal solution or as ever is it just keep upping the size of breakfast gradually and see what works for you and live with a bit hunger at the end?

cheers

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Stuart exactly like eating 7 times it is necessary and you feel a little bit tired if you eat only 3 times. i think that for one day it cannot make substantial difference, this about the Intermittent Fasting where you stay without eating for 16 hours.

Julia Quigley

This doesn't directly address question--but why can't you eat for 8 hours after breakfast? I bring food with me on long flights (bringing food into airports is allowed, but a lot of people don't realize that).

Stuart McFarlane

I exaggerate I can eat a little with pre planning and meal prep but the situation I found myself in led me to think about the trade off between meal size and frequency but as alesaandro stated this is a very old topic that ranges between intermittent fasting and eating every 20 minutes. And for one day it makes no difference to my life.

When I started this I used to get hungry between breakfast and lunch and now it's the other way round - I feel satisfied and could push my lunch back an hour. I haven't been doing this and I've been eating at my usual time and I think I am slightly overeating as a result but I'll adjust my portions - it's a continual evolution!

Jeff Serven

Saying intermittent fasting here is like saying bomb on an airplane. 

You simply don't achieve the alleged benefits of IF after skipping a meal. Haven't you learned in life yet there is no free lunch. If it sounds too good to be true it is. Back on topic...

Stuart, to answer your question; yea go for a slightly bigger breakfast but also try to eat some to go foods lie nuts, jerky, etc.