This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Notation

Started by Michael Vetter, January 30, 2017 · 10 Replies · 113 Views

Michael Vetter

Hello,

I would like to understand the notation system.

My exercises read:
 

Quote

 

Step2 FL PE1 5x12s

FL PE1>iM 5x5r

 

 

FL - Front Lever. So this is the name of the exercise. PE1 - Progression 1? What does the E stand for? Execution?

So this is a different way of doing the exercise. A simpler way and once one mastered that one goes up to the next progression. Right?

Then there is how much one should do. So does it mean the FL-PE1 always means 5x12s of FL? So if one would know the system one wouldnt need the 5x12s anymore?

Now the confusing part: It is said that there are 9 steps. But what are they? A different step is a different way to execute the exercise? I thought thats what the progressions are there for.

 

And what does the >iM stand for?

 

Curiosly,

Michael

Luke Searra

Hi Michael,

FL - Front Lever

PE - Preparatory Element

FL - PE1 5x12s (means 5 sets of 12 seconds) / (it will never be 6x12s, but if it was it would mean 6 sets of 12 seconds)

All of the steps go through increasing difficulty and covering exercises to make sure you have no preparation holes in your strength elements.

>iM : integrated mobility

Michael Vetter

Thanks for your reply @Luke Searra.

I am still not sure what the difference between the PEs and the Steps are.

Is it that PE can be different exercises (leading to the main one (in this example Front Lever) and the steps tracking the reps/sets/time?

I fail to see the difference between what the PE describes and what the steps do.

Ryan Reynolds

Michael you need to read through the FAQ's and the Introduction material.  These resources can be found under the fitness menu at the top of the course page.

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

The steps dictate changes in sets, reps, or both. PE is just a way to notate a strength progression. Like Ryan said, this is all better explained here: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-notation/ 

 

Michael Vetter

Thank you guys, indeed this clears up a lot. Sorry for not reading that page earlier. I might have found it on the first day when I looked at all the menus and then forgot about it.

Quote

The first part of the notation is always the element name. Second will indicate whether it is a preparatory or specific step as well as the step number. If it is a mobility exercise, it will end with iM.

They use the word step here, its the same as the step that is shown? The one indicating sets/reps?

I am not yet sure when/how one progresses from PE1 to PE2, once one went through all the steps of PE1?

Then one goes through all the PEs and comes to SE.

Michael Vetter

OK ok, now I read the Mastery part ;)

However, it sais:

Quote

By choosing "Test Mastery" you will get a placement test. If you pass (make sure to log your workout) it will give a harder progression test; if you fail it will automatically assign the best step for you to work on.

I cannot find "Test Mastery" :-/

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

Testing mastery is an option that is only available to more intermediate level students. Once you reach at least 3 Foundation Two progressions, this option will become available in your courses. 

Michael Vetter

Thanks for your reply @Everett Carroll!

I'm just asking because of the One Leg Squat.

My current one you can see at the end of this:

And the progressions so far I dont feel much. Thats why I wondered how to find the right progression to train.

Everett Carroll

Hey Michael,

The difficulty of both the strength and mobility progressions will gradually increase. We strongly suggest you work through all of the progressions to ensure complete preparation. This will prevent injury and ensure there are zero gaps in your physical prep. If the workout is too easy, select that smiley and you will be advanced a few steps. It shouldn't take long to find a challenging strength progression or a mobility deficit. Along the way, be sure to keep up on your form checks to ensure proper execution of each progression. 

Michael Vetter

Alright, thanks!