This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Feeling the Differences Between Over load, Load, and Under Load

Started by Ryan Segervall, January 30, 2017 · 8 Replies · 206 Views

Ryan Segervall

Hello all, 

I have a question in regards to telling the difference between Over load, Load, and Under Load while training, more specifically the difference in the feel between load and under load. 

 

My thoughts

Overload: Pretty easy to tell as your getting your ass handed to you (keeping proper form of course)

Load: still gonna be difficult to an extent, your gonna be notably working 

Under load: Gonna feel easy, but is some burn/fatigue near the end of the last couple sets okay? 

 

I would love to hear some peoples insights, so I can tell when a exercise is easy enough for me to progress onwards.

I want to make sure super compensation is occurring between exercise progressions and im not rushing onwards to soon. 

 

 

Cheers, 

Ryan 

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Ryan Segervall said:

the difference in the feel between load and under load. 

Too Easy= Underload

Easy and Fine= Load

Ryan Segervall
8 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Too Easy= Underload

Easy and Fine= Load

Thanks Everett, 

 

I know Ive probably beatin this to death now just trying to get a grip on the physical cues that would be considered too easy.

Would under load feel like this

- no physical burning in the muscle belly through all of the sets, in combination with no shaking and difficulty breathing on isometric holds?

- or is some burning okay? 

 

thank you for your patience :) 

Everett Carroll

No problem Ryan :)  I'd say underload (AKA easy work) can include a small amount of burn but nothing it's typically nothing exceptional. Load is hard enough work to where your putting in some effort and feeling some fatigue. Ultimately, enough load becomes overload, which is pushing your body to of course deeper stages of fatigue and sometimes failure. This is how we end up improving. 

More than physical sensations, however, overload is the principle that I just described: load to the point of overload, and ultimately, deload, once it becomes necessary for your level. As beginners, deload is not quite necessary but does become important when your training demands increase. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Overload(Too hard): I can not complete a repetition and need to spend more time on the previous progression.

Load(Hard/Fine): 1. I can complete a number of repetitions and or I just wants to work on the current step longer to develop more strength before moving on.

Underload(Easy/Too Easy): I am done with the previous step for now. I think I may be ready for the next progression/step.

Generally speaking: While completing a set, our body goes through a period of underload, load, and overload.

In this situation under load would be when you first start the set. Load would be around middle of the set. Over load would be finishing a set more tired then when you started it.  

Chris Harvey
9 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

No problem Ryan :)  I'd say underload (AKA easy work) can include a small amount of burn but nothing it's typically nothing exceptional. Load is hard enough work to where your putting in some effort and feeling some fatigue. Ultimately, enough load becomes overload, which is pushing your body to of course deeper stages of fatigue and sometimes failure. This is how we end up improving. 

More than physical sensations, however, overload is the principle that I just described: load to the point of overload, and ultimately, deload, once it becomes necessary for your level. As beginners, deload is not quite necessary but does become important when your training demands increase. 

I have 1 questions:

1. Do we need to go though the stage of overload, load, underload in every steps? For example, now I am MNPE2 Step 7, it is 4x12r. If I want to progress to step 8. Now I can do 4x12r perfectly without much fatigue. Do I need to repeat step 7 for few more times for the purpose of underload then i progress to step 8? Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Chris,

Be as honest as possible when selecting the smiley faces after each workout and your programming will be handled for you, behind the scenes. Don't worry about analyzing it any further. Our workout programming will handle the rest. 

Leigh Kettle

If I manage to complete all reps and sets with what I deem to be just OK form as the set progressed due to tiring, I'll stick at the current level until I'm happy all was done with correct form throughout . I remember reading coach saying somewhere something along the lines of make your last reps as good as your first......don't have sloppy reps at the end as you tire, as can often be the case. This has stuck in my mind throughout every exercise I now perform 

I always try and be honest with every exercise . If I was struggling towards the end  I'll just stick at it for another week even if the next session was easier . I try and aim for at least 3 "satisfied" completions  before I'll click the easy smiley face 

im hoping this kind of approach will stand me in good stead albeit a little longer to achieve things 

Ryan Segervall
5 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

If I manage to complete all reps and sets with what I deem to be just OK form as the set progressed due to tiring, I'll stick at the current level until I'm happy all was done with correct form throughout . I remember reading coach saying somewhere something along the lines of make your last reps as good as your first......don't have sloppy reps at the end as you tire, as can often be the case. This has stuck in my mind throughout every exercise I now perform 

I always try and be honest with every exercise . If I was struggling towards the end  I'll just stick at it for another week even if the next session was easier . I try and aim for at least 3 "satisfied" completions  before I'll click the easy smiley face 

im hoping this kind of approach will stand me in good stead albeit a little longer to achieve things 

- This is the general strategy I've been using for the past 4 weeks. Still on the same progressions but they have improved drastically in form and the amount of perceived effort is much easier. Will be bumping some exercises up next week, other I want a little more time to work with. Keeping quality over quantity in mind.

 

Thank you for your response :)

Ryan