This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to Thrive. A bit worried. Please help!

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, January 30, 2017 · 7 Replies · 191 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hello there to everyone!

After some time thinking about I have finally decided to purchase Thrive. I ve never been so worried and doubtful about buying a GB course. It has taken last few years for me to change my way of eating so I was very worried that Thrive would be completely different from what I am doing. I have many doubts and questions and I hope someone can answer them to calm my worries. I know the program give you task progressively, but I need to know in advance if it will be suitable for me.

I have to say first i have been vegetarian for almost 4 years and just a month ago I decided to start eating fish again. I simply felt like eating and I did. So after that i thought maybe now i could try Thrive. I don t know if i ll be eating fish for the rest of my life but for now I do it. I definetely don t want to eat meat. So I asked in the nutrition forum and Everet told me Thrive was fine for me.

So here are my questions about Thrive:

1) Does one has to eat meat/fish on every meal? If not does one has to eat meat/fish everyday? What is the minum of this type of food in Thrive?

2) Can I continue eating this food: grains like quinoa, buckwheat, rice, korn or millet; all kind of beans, cheackpeas, lentils and all kind of nuts?

3) Is Thrive going to tell me that I have to eat 200 grams of protein per day? Or that I can t eat carbs at night?

4) Is Thrive going to tell me in the end the exact amount that I should be eating of every type of food on every meal?

I m sorry guys I ask so much I just feel I don t want to stick a very restrictive program or a program that is so far from where I am in my eating habits that it d be very difficult to follow. I have spent a lot of time, specially some years ago in creating a better nutrition for me. Right now I am more relaxed with what i eat and i feel happy. I basically want to feel good but to be happy. Not to be thinking all the time if i am taking enough of this or not enough. That s why thrive call my attention, because is a behavior based nutrition. I was very intrigued by it.

I m really open to give a fair try to Thrive, even if it shocks my own concepts, I was never dogmatic in nutrition, I ve always been a practical guy. If one feels good do it. That s why I stopped eating meat ant fish and now decided to eat again some fish. Don t know what will happen in the future... Meat eater, vegan, fruitarian? :P

So to end, i m happy to be here. I hope I can learn a lot practically and share motivation with all of you. Thanks in advance!

Matic Balantic

1. It is possible you don't get in optimal amount of protein and will need to add more. I eat meat once or twice per day. I often eat eggs instead of meet.

2. Thrive only adds to your diet, it doesn't take anything away. 

3. There are certain rules, there is no way around it :) Good news is, that you'll be allowed to eat carbs with dinner :P There is no calorie/macros counting with Thrive, but there are portions sizes.

4. Think recommended portion sizes ;) 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks Matic,

That clears a little bit. I still don t have clear how much protein should come from meat or fish daily? If there are alternatives, at least sometimes to it, lke for example lentils, beans, cheackpeas or tofu. I only eat fish, not meat, so I don t won t to be eating fish in every meal. I eat cheese, eggs, yogurt and fish from animal. I don t eat meat and don t drink milk.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I think I am worrying to much too early. I think the program will be benficial for me even if I follow strictly just an 80% of it. 

Everett Carroll
6 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I still don t have clear how much protein should come from meat or fish daily?

Hey Antonio,

There are no specific requirements for protein quantity as long as you are getting some. Cronometer.com can help you figure out how much protein foods contain if you are curious. However, your primary focus at this stage should just be making sure you get some protein rich foods at the specified meal.

6 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I only eat fish

Fish is an excellent source. Quinoa, rice and beans, soy, and vegan/vegetarian protein powders are all some ideas that come to mind for your specific limitations. 

Julia Quigley
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Antonio,

There are no specific requirements for protein quantity as long as you are getting some.

Well, there aren't protein requirements by gram, but eventually there are protein portion size requirements per meal. 

@Antonio Alías Montoya I do think you're worrying a little too early in the program. Part of the "secrecy" is to keep people from biting off more than they can chew (pun intended!). Stick to your tasks and if you run into one that gives you trouble, post about in the forum. 

@Florian Nagel has completed Thrive and is a vegetarian. She might have more insight to give you. 

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

That s good to hear Everett! I know where to find protein from plant based I was just curious if it was considered a good choice for protein in Thrive.

3 minutes ago, Julia Quigley said:

Well, there aren't protein requirements by gram, but eventually there are protein portion size requirements per meal. 

@Antonio Alías Montoya I do think you're worrying a little too early in the program. Part of the "secrecy" is to keep people from biting off more than they can chew (pun intended!). Stick to your tasks and if you run into one that gives you trouble, post about in the forum. 

@Florian Nagel has completed Thrive and is a vegetarian. She might have more insight to give you. 

 

It s really good to hear there is one vegetarian who completed. I understad what you say about worrying to early but one month ago I couldn t follow Thrive because I was vegetarian and after 4 years I started eating fish, so i was not worried about the details of the program but about if I could actually follow with my restriction, but thanks to Everett and you i am sure I can now.

Luke Searra

Keep us updated Antonio, we will be looking forward to hearing your progress.