This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Toe point and hamstring flexibility

Started by Chelsea Savit, January 29, 2017 · 1 Replies · 94 Views

Chelsea Savit

I have listened to a few Coach Sommer podcasts as well as started following his front split series. 

My question is, why does toe point have anything to do with hamstring mobility? The first video in the front split series is "hamstring flexibility" and it begins with many ankle stretches, which I understand are for calf and the tibialis anterior. I have also heard Coach Sommer refer to this in several podcasts.

Thank you!

Darin Phoenix

Hi Chelsea, 

The video series is for front split. Developing flexibility for a gymnastics front split will pretty much require that you have flexibility in your entire leg. The ankle stretches do indeed stretch the tibialis anterior which needs to be flexible in the front leg for the correct toe point and the rear leg as you are resting on it in plantar flexion.