This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest time between Front Split and Middle Split series

Started by Dane Weiss, January 29, 2017 · 5 Replies · 341 Views

Dane Weiss

The various stretch series are prescribed for once a week. What is the best way to sequence them? 

I ask because when I do front split training, I find that a day or two later, I'm still sore when I do middle split training. 

Is it best to:

A) Knock them both over in short succession e.g. Front Splits Saturday and Middle Splits Sunday and then take rest of week off from a flexibility perspective (and if so, does it make sense to have Front Splits be Day 1 and Middle Splits be Day 2 or vice-versa?)

or 

B) Spread out as much as possible: e.g. do Front Splits Saturday and then wait till say Wednesday to do Middle Splits

Finally, sensitive to the fact the stretch series are only prescribed as once a week activities - how much if any stretching is recommended in the in between days and if some, what is the best of making sure I don't over do it?

Appreciate your help in advance. Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

I prefer always to rest a couple of days or more:

-front split on mon

-middle split on thurs 

and then use this schedule week over week. so in your proposal the B solution.

For the other question I usually perform daily the variation where i'm super limited, in my case were butterfly from middle split course and achilles stretch from the front split.

Dane Weiss

Thanks appreciate it.

Fascinating: I find the butterfly and achilles stretch really challenging too. Might start doing those daily.

Oussama KHELLADI
8 hours ago, Dane Weiss said:

Thanks appreciate it.

Fascinating: I find the butterfly and achilles stretch really challenging too. Might start doing those daily.

yes u will find that is the most common recommendation in the forum i also recommand the frog

Ferdinand Berr

The stretches you perform daily, do you hold them for as long as in the stretch courses? When you stretch one particular muscle basically everyday, wouldn't that hinder recovery as well?

 

And to the original topic:

I did my first Front Split course on monday and felt serious hamstring soreness until friday. Today there's still some hamstring/calf soreness which I can feel touching/massaging the muscle, but nothing severe. My body will adapt, but is it for example okay to do the Middle Split course today when there's still some minor soreness, or should any type of soreness be gone for allowing the body enough time to recover?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ferdinand, I suggest NO. Adductors are strongly stretch also in the front split so wait until you have completely recovered.