This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE/1 IM static seated shoulder flexion

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 28, 2017 · 3 Replies · 84 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

amongst other things My shoulder flexion is poor so for my pe1 integrated mobility I took some advice I received here and concentrated on my seated shoulder flexion with an unweighted bar to try and get some mobility going here

can you please assess the video I've included and tell me if this is sufficient progress to start moving to the full weighted version of this exercise . Although small I do think I've increased a little in my flexion but again any advice / pointers would be much appreciated .

Alongside the TB Series I've  been doing regular elevated cat stretches to try and speed this part of my immobility up but again any tips on what else I could do would be very helpful

the second video ive attached  is a general flexion, body alignment post . Im actively trying to ppt and bring my ribs back and down but again this "cue" is something that isn't coming naturally to me. Your feedback here once again is much appreciated 

thank you guys 

Leigh 

https://youtu.be/cn2Zix1WT1c

https://youtu.be/okeCm8vmwRM

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Leigh,

It's great to hear that you've seen yourself improve. I know how frustrating it can be to have to work the same thing over and over until you can do it. You're doing a good job.

Your shoulders are almost there. You still need a bit more ROM before moving on. Also, before adding weight you need to bring your hands in until they are only shoulder width apart.

Your second video also looks good. You are doing a nice job of keeping your ribs in and holding PPT. Your shoulder angle is still a bit closed, but as you focus on your TB series, you will see yourself improve.

Like I said, you're almost there. Just a little bit more and you'll be ready for some weight.

Greg White

HI Leigh

 

For the shoulder flexion i remember seeing a Kelly Starrett video where they stood under a weighted racked barbell (in a squat rack, bit lower than shoulder height) and stood up so their traps were pushed into the the barbell. It was basically a release or the traps. Probably spent 20 to 30 secs on on each trap, finding the hurty bits and kneading them. They did a test and re-test pre and post massge and the flexion difference was significant. Ive done this myself in the past and have easily see a 15 to 20cm difference in where my hand is in relation to pre and post massage. Your flexion soon goes back to 'normal afterwards'. 

Not sure if using this before the PE1 would be of any true benefit if the flexion just goes back it how it was 20 mins later.

edit; found the vid!

 

Leigh Kettle

Hey Greg many thanks for your input

yes like you say I'd be reluctant to do something just to pass a mobility progression if it was only temporary much rather keep it permnanent and  only progress to the next exercise  when my flexion is where it should be 

As advised by Alex I'm incorporating 5 daily sets of 1 min elevated cat stretch to try and speed this part of my "imobility" up 

thanks again greg hope your training doing well 

Leigh