This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE2 - Form Check

Started by Kevin Marcotte, January 26, 2017 · 4 Replies · 54 Views

Kevin Marcotte

Hello,

I have been stuck at RC/PE2 for a few months now and was recommended in another thread to post a form check video.

- I am stuck on step 5 (4x9), and as you will see struggle most in my last set after rep ~5

- I did not film set 1, so the video includes sets 2 - 4.

- I filmed this at the gym so improvised a bit instead of rings. I use rings at home (about 50% of Upper Body workouts).

Thanks in advance for feedback on form, and any advice possible for ways to improve strength to get past this "sticking" point.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting! For the rows, it does look like you are using some momentum to get through the last bit of the pull up. It is crucial to have a straight body throughout the row. When you use momentum your body line breaks and the row becomes much easier. 

I suggest dropping down at least one step to focus on keeping your body straight and tight (knees locked, core and glutes engaged to achieve more PPT). Reduce volume enough to ensure the use of momentum is not necessary. Pull your chest all the way to your hands with control. 

For the iM, before leaning sideways, pull straight back and extend your arms as much as possible. Ideally, your shoulders will be covering your ears. Keep that backwards pressure before drifting to the side. 

Kevin Marcotte
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting! For the rows, it does look like you are using some momentum to get through the last bit of the pull up. It is crucial to have a straight body throughout the row. When you use momentum your body line breaks and the row becomes much easier. 

I suggest dropping down at least one step to focus on keeping your body straight and tight (knees locked, core and glutes engaged to achieve more PPT). Reduce volume enough to ensure the use of momentum is not necessary. Pull your chest all the way to your hands with control. 

For the iM, before leaning sideways, pull straight back and extend your arms as much as possible. Ideally, your shoulders will be covering your ears. Keep that backwards pressure before drifting to the side. 

Thanks for the feedback I will try to implement both for the rows and iM.

While reducing volume to keep strict control, do you have any thoughts on the frequency I should be doing this exercise to most effectively improve strength? Right now I target this movement 2x per week, but would increase (e.g. to every other day) if that may help.

Thanks,

Everett Carroll

Hey Kevin,

Stick with your current frequency and adjust the workout volume only. 

Chad Moffitt

Hi Kevin,

I'm just a beginner, but what's helped me on these is a focus on keeping my body and legs tight (and straight.  I find it actually makes the reps easier to do and also keeps good form.     My 2¢