Back Lever Progression

Started by Niels Joergensen, February 2, 2010 · 18 Replies · 6,703 Views

Niels Joergensen

Hey guys!

Just wanted to post what my back lever looks like atm. I've been training for this move 2-3 weeks now.

ps. I'm sorry for the bad camera angle. Until I have rings properly installed in my room I will have to deal with this :)

any tips and comments would be appreciated :D

sY6AKqsxUTo

Jeffrey

Looking solid especially after 2 weeks! Keep up the good work

Neal Winkler

Good job.

What sort of training history do you have prior to this? Could you give is some examples of your poundages? What's your height/weight? I couldn't tell very well, but what hand position were you using - palms towards the head or feet?

Gregor

Looking very good!

Razz

wow good job :D

Off topic but are you danish by any chance? :P

Niels Joergensen
What sort of training history do you have prior to this? Could you give is some examples of your poundages? What's your height/weight? I couldn't tell very well, but what hand position were you using - palms towards the head or feet?

I have done Taekwondo for 3-4 years. Right now I do parkour which I've done for like 4 years.I've always loved bodyweight movements/ strength training :)

Height: 1,77 m. (approximately)

Weight: 77 kg.

The quality isn't great so it's not easy to notice. But I train the back lever with palms facing down/ at my feet:)

And yes I am danish :wink: live in Aarhus

Gregor
mrnielsjoergensen said:

The quality isn't great so it's not easy to notice. But I train the back lever with palms facing down/ at my feet:)

This is correct way if a back lever is not your final goal.

Niels Joergensen
This is correct way if a back lever is not your final goal.

Yes. I've started with the back lever as a good foundation for further progression on the rings! :)

Neal Winkler
Gregor said:
mrnielsjoergensen said:

The quality isn't great so it's not easy to notice. But I train the back lever with palms facing down/ at my feet:)

This is correct way if a back lever is not your final goal.

Random-Rapist-DONT-BE-A-SISSY-PALMS-DOWN-ON-YOUR-BACK-LEVER.jpg

Cole Dano

triangle just learned how to put photoshop to good use!

Sternford

Wait, what? He said his palms were down, Gregor says this is wrong, then the homeless man* tells him to keep his palms down?

Is this picture right or wrong

back%2520lever.jpg

*look it up

Neal Winkler

He said palms down was best if you want to train the back lever for higher skills. In your picture the elbow stress is less so it won't prepare you for more difficult skills like the other hand position.

Blairbob

Sternford, that way is the wrong way for future ring strength progression and preparation.

Ahh, I think you're right. Been a long time since I've read Jim's BL article or mosied on over.

Sternford

Okay thanks, I was confused. And that's not me, I just googled a picture. I think it's from beastskills

sunshine

So whats the correct way to train the back lever?

Palms facing up or down, and why?

Michael Traynor

Palms facing towards your feet is the correct way to train BL for a future in Gymnastics as it puts greater pressure on the biceps tendon strengthening it, which is a very key area for rings strength, it is also the hand position that makes transitions and other strength moves possible on the rings, much in the same vein as turning the rings out correctly when in a support position.

Alessandro Mainente

palm bacing down and also (i think) a little body hollow position, is great to understand the correct position for the more advanced skill, in more rings specialist you the planche and maltese is performed with hollow position..

for the next progression is useful learn BL with false grip...

sunshine

I feel a little pain (pressure) in my elbows when im training the backlever (flat tuck).

Is this normal for beginners?

Should it take a wider grip?

I'm training at a bar.

Alessandro Mainente

the pain is in the is near the bicep (inner elbow) or in the other side (external elbow)?

maybe is only because you are new to these movements!

before try the flat tuck you have to reach the 60 seconds to tuck bl, and before this at least 60 sec in german hang...i did this progression without problem. after flat tuck pass to straddle and don't move to half full lay before you achieve the 30-45 sec, after the full lay and the full BL...

now that i i have a solid BL (i'm talking about 30-40 sec full BL) i feel pressure in inner elbow joint but no pain!!!

correct progression equal save the joint and tendons

keeo practice