This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

2 Pike 2 Squat for beginner

Started by Matt Johnson, January 26, 2017 · 5 Replies · 224 Views

Matt Johnson

Hi all-

New to GST, and this is my first post.  I apologize if this has been asked already, but couldn't find it after doing a quick search.

I began the stretch series this week, and did the Front Split routine this morning.  A simple question about 2 pike 2 squat - on the squat, I don't have the mobility enough to come down all the way, and I'm not sure the best way to scale.  Should I

(1) squat as far down as I can with my feet and legs together, until my heels start to lift off the ground and then come back up.  So in my case, basically going half of the way to the ground (i.e. focus on keeping my feet grounded)

(2) squat all the way to the ground with my feet and legs together, thereby causing my heels to lift (i.e. focus on squatting as far as I can)

(3) squat all the way to the ground while keeping my feet flat on the ground, thereby forcing me to separate my feet/legs (i.e. focusing on a deep squat)

?

Or none of the above?  This morning, I did option 1 because I didn't want to pause my routine to search, but would love to know what is really expected in a situation like this.  If my descriptions don't make sense, I can try to add clarity.  Thanks in advance!

Darin Phoenix

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the GB forum! 

For FSSSE7 10r 2 Pike 2 Squat you should go with Option 1, you are trying to increase your ankle mobility by stretching your achilles tendon allowing your heels to come off the ground bypasses this benefit. Take it slowly and work within your limitations, your range of motion will increase over time. 

Thanks for contributing to the GB community.

 

Matt Johnson

Thanks, Darin! And yes, Matic, I've been watching them meticulously! Super helpful.  But it was still unclear for the squat aspect of the 2 pike 2 squat, so wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick responses!

Winter Phoenix

Welcome to the forums Matt,

You are always welcome to reach out for support in here. Good luck with your training.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I have another option that is what I do. I stand in front of a bench, chair, sofa or whatever and I go as low as I can and when it becomes difficult then I use my hands to hold myself while going lower without falling back. With this change I can really push my knees to the front without lifting my heels.