This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

third and fourth stretch in series limitations and modifications

Started by Patrick Poblocki, January 25, 2017 · 7 Replies · 150 Views

Patrick Poblocki

Hi. 

I've been working on all three of my stretch series for months now; however, for thoracic bridge, I am not getting any closer to getting my hands even remotely together on the third and fourth stretches in the series supine shoulder extensions and should extension walks. 

For reference, I can do weighted shoulder extensions as part of the HS course, but my hands are not quite at shoulder width yet. 

If I sit entirely upright, I cannot bring my hands together behind me without bending my elbows.  

Coach says "not much is  happening if your hands aren't together", which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.  

I do feel an immense stretch in my shoulders and in my biceps when attempting to get into this position.  To substitute, I've been using my stall bars.  I am standing, in shoulder extension, grabbing the bar behind me with my arms about parallel to the floor, palms facing down to the floor.  I roll my shoulders back to engage.  This stretch, with my hands about shoulder width , is a very strong stretch, and I believe a good scaling option.  For the walks, I move my hands from a wide grip on the stall bars dowel, to as narrow as I can go; at the narrowest point, I drop my butt towards the floor for a bit of an extra stretch.  

My question is whether or not this seems like a good substitution?  

Thanks! 

Luke Searra

Hi Patrick this is a good stretch but like all stretches it also depends on how you do it, if you are dropping your when you drop your butt towards the floor and if your butt gets closer to your stall bars. Please upload a video for us to see.

Patrick Poblocki
On 1/25/2017 at 11:19 AM, Luke Searra said:

Hi Patrick this is a good stretch but like all stretches it also depends on how you do it, if you are dropping your when you drop your butt towards the floor and if your butt gets closer to your stall bars. Please upload a video for us to see.

Here is a video of what I am talking about as a substitution:  

https://youtu.be/SsaKoTrNHr4

 

Ryan Reynolds

Video is unavailable

Patrick Poblocki
On January 27, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Ryan Reynolds said:

Video is unavailable

Sorry about that, can you try it now? 

 

 

Patrick Poblocki
On January 25, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Luke Searra said:

Hi Patrick this is a good stretch but like all stretches it also depends on how you do it, if you are dropping your when you drop your butt towards the floor and if your butt gets closer to your stall bars. Please upload a video for us to see.

I uploaded a video that is working this time, I think.  What do you think about this scaling option? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Patrick,

This Stretch can be used as a scaling alternative to the shoulder extension stretch, BUT you will need to hold in the uncomfortable (bottom) position for 90s. You'll definitely see faster progress by spending more time in this position. 

Another way to scale the Stretch is to do the shoulder extension as shown in the Stretch series. To prevent your hands from sliding further apart from each other you can hold onto a dowel/band/towel. Eventually you can try to narrow your grip. 

Please let us know how it goes! Looking forward to see your shoulder extension improve :) 

Patrick Poblocki
1 hour ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Patrick,

This Stretch can be used as a scaling alternative to the shoulder extension stretch, BUT you will need to hold in the uncomfortable (bottom) position for 90s. You'll definitely see faster progress by spending more time in this position. 

Another way to scale the Stretch is to do the shoulder extension as shown in the Stretch series. To prevent your hands from sliding further apart from each other you can hold onto a dowel/band/towel. Eventually you can try to narrow your grip. 

Please let us know how it goes! Looking forward to see your shoulder extension improve :) 

Great thanks!  90 seconds will be BRUTAL!!  But, I'm motivated to achieve this. :)