This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular shrugs hand position

Started by Martin Atal, January 25, 2017 · 3 Replies · 172 Views

Martin Atal

Hi, I was just wondering on the hand positions on scapular shrugs. On the follow along video and technique video, it shows that the hands are pointing forward. But in the thumbnail picture and some of the videos of gb athletes their hand position is pointing outward. What is the difference of using each hand position? I also noticed that if you point your hands outward it is less taxing on your elbows. Is one a more advanced progression than the other? 

Thanks!

Luke Searra

Hello Martin , in my personal experience I have found out that facing your hands outwards makes it easier to keep your elbows straight during the shrug. Both are correct. Either direction your hands face, keep the basic principles of the movement the same please.

Martin Atal

Thanks for the advice.

Chris Umiastowski

Very helpful reply! I find it really tough to train myself to keep elbows locked at the bottom of the shrug.