This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS-PE2 Form Check

Started by Josh Shaw, January 25, 2017 · 12 Replies · 133 Views

Josh Shaw

I think I probably need to clean up the iM a little bit, but I think I'm good on the PE.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

You're doing a good job. Your PE is looking solid. You are doing a nice job of squatting to an appropriate depth on each rep. As you squat, be careful not to let your knees flair out to the side. Keep them directly over you feet throughout your entire set.

On your iM you are picking up a small amount of pelvic rotation as you lift the leg. Be sure to keep the pelvis stable to isolate the correct muscles. To get a better idea of what I am referring to, take a look at the 'Mobility Technique Tip' video starting at about 45 seconds.

Keep working hard!

Josh Shaw

Thanks for the feedback.  My knees flaring out is a result of cues I've picked up through years of powerlifting.  I think I did a much better job of tracking my knees over my toes the second time around. 

 

How does the iM look now?  I think I did a better job of keeping my knees angle at 90 and shin parallel to the floor, as well as reducing the pelvic rotation.  I'm unclear about the amount of pelvic rotation and range of motion for mastery though.  In the video in the course library, the girl has a lot of range of motion, but a good amount of pelvic rotation as well.  However in the technique tips video with Wesley, around the 1:06 mark he says it's better to keep the hips stable, even if it means less range of motion.  The girl in this video has much less range of motion, but still a little bit of pelvic rotation. 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Josh, your experience with powerlifting makes sense and it is ok. your mobility needs for sure more time to be mastered, probably the middle split course will improve the amount of gain.

Josh Shaw

I've repeated this steps a few more times, and took another video of the iM.  I think it's improving, but I'm struggling to figure out exactly what the mastery standard to compare to is.  I've watched the video in the course library, the follow along video, and the mobility technique and scaling video.  I've attached a few screen shots that I took from the videos.  The first is from the course library.  The girl brings her leg up to hip height, but she has a significant amount of pelvic rotation.  The second is from the technique video, when she first does a rep.  She brings her leg about halfway to hip height, maybe a little higher, but she also has a decent amount of pelvic rotation.  The third is where Wesley shows an example of too much pelvic rotation, and it's very much like the video in the course library.  The last is from the end of the technique video where she keeps the pelvic rotation to a minimum, but she sacrifices a lot of height.  I tried to go through other users form checks, and it seems like the feedback suggests that the mastery standard is to bring the leg up to hip height like in the course library and the exaggerated example from the technique, but with the minimal pelvic rotation seen in the scaled version at the end of the technique video. 

I don't want to rush through and move on before I meet the mastery standard, but at the same time I don't want to spend weeks and weeks chasing a mobility standard that's much more advanced than the stage in progression, especially when the stretch series, straddle ups, and a lot of the sPL iM's work the mobility required for this iM,

 

 

SLS-PE2-iMa.PNG

SLS-PE2-iMb.PNG

SLS-PE2-iMc.PNG

SLS-PE2-iMd.PNG

Ryan Harbert

Any response to Josh's recent post above?

It's not clear to me either how high we need to raise the leg in the iM. In the videos there's a fair amount of pelvic tilt. Can a coach please comment on the tilt? Ie., is some allowed? And what's the mastery standard exactly?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

The knee must be raise exactly at hips level.

Ryan Harbert
33 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The knee must be raise exactly at hips level.

Is some pelvic tilt allowed, as seen in the follow-along videos?

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

You want to lift only as high as you can without twisting your pelvis. The goal is to raise your knee to hip height without the pelvis twisting. For now, you might be lower than that but your range will increase over time.  

Ryan Harbert

Thanks Everett, Alessandro, for the clarifications.

Alessandro Mainente

For the hips range of motion you can hold the PPT untile 90° of abduction of the upper, so ideally at 90° you could have PPT.

Ryan Harbert

Thanks Alessandro.

What's PPT? I'm new here.

Everett Carroll

Posterior pelvic tilt. The easiest way to feel the difference between anterior pelvic tilt (ATP) and posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) is to first lay down on your back. Keeping your butt down, arch your lower back so that there is space/tunnel between it and the floor. This is ATP. Now, if you engage your core and drop your bottom ribs down, think hollow body hold, you will notice the space is eliminated. This is PPT. Handstand One covers this in much more detail.