So my gf and I have been doing the Middle Split course for over a year and we have been very consistent for about the past 6 months. Both of us have made a lot of progress but she seems to have made no progress in her straddle while sitting. Her pancake is very good and she is pretty much on the ground but she can't get her legs any wider. Her frog work also seems to have stalled. Does anyone have any tips that can get her passed these plateaus?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Lack of straddle progress
Started by Dorian Brown, January 25, 2017 · 5 Replies · 177 Views
Hi @Dorian Brown,
Thanks for sharing your progress. May I ask how many times per week do you guys do the Middle Split Series? Mobility takes time. In my experience, it took me a year to get a flat chest to floor pancake to the floor and another year to touch my upper stomach to the floor. Even though I have touched my stomach to the floor, its not consistent too.
Once a week. I accept that mobility takes a while but it's just strange that she hasn't made any progress in her straddle width when everything else has shown improvement. Her straddle is wider when she is doing the wall split or roll throughs so it's just not making sense to me. I was hoping there were some supplemental exercises that I can give her to help her improve.
My suggestion is to submit video for form check and my advise is to do the mobility drills in Handstand Two if you have it. I hope this helps. ![]()
Hi Dorian, a lot depends on your previous sports and work history. I will never hide the time i've spent to reach the floor on the butterfly stretch: 5 years of consistent work.
Hi Dorian,
I can say that from my experience the pancake was the easiest part to conquer in this series, and I'm still not able to do a flat pancake consistently. I recommend that she spend more time on the 2-minute wall pancake at the end of the series, and also do some more "limbering" of butterfly and frog.
I have found that depending on our athletic history some of us might have a harder time loosening the groin area, which is where the butterfly and frog come into play. Particularly if she was/is a runner.