This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injury frustration :-( :-(

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 24, 2017 · 1 Replies · 105 Views

Leigh Kettle

Ok not as much a question but a general wondering.

Being someone that has had to scale back my training 100 fold due to my elbow issues its given me a lot more time to Build up the frustration I have for the following

how is it that some guys out there (especially in the calisthenics community from which I came from) seem able to progress at everything in such a small time frame with seemingly no injuries or anything as they do so, especially in those all important connective tissues that have stopped me in my tracks . How are their bodies coping with repeated straight arm hammer, weighted sets, ring work etc. 

im certain these same guys aren't following any where near the kind of structured programming that gst sets out so im intrigued on what you guys think of this kind of thing 

I progressed to a certain level in my calisthenics training but my unstructured and somewhat naive programming got me in the state I am today with my elbows , maybe a lot of them will follow, who knows, but I never got near achieving things like a planche which was always the most taxing  thing I tried yet so many of these newbies are able to get it or at least get closer than I ever did .

Before joining gst and through my calisthenics years i would often read your forums and get the little tips I could as a non member so I always did the SSC on all the moves I was training but as I say the planche and straight arm work i never got close as my elbows would always tell me to back off . 

As a gst trainee very much in rehab it literally pains me to see guys attempting  things I know they aren't ready for, but who am I to chime in on their posts after what has happened to me . 

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I'd just  be very interested to hear your opinions on this.  Anyone in a similar position to me who can't train as they would like I'm reaching out to you for sympathy lol 

- Leigh - (a very frustrated yet now on the right path I want to be on, trainee) 

Alessandro Mainente
10 minutes ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Ok not as much a question but a general wondering.

Being someone that has had to scale back my training 100 fold due to my elbow issues its given me a lot more time to Build up the frustration I have for the following

how is it that some guys out there (especially in the calisthenics community from which I came from) seem able to progress at everything in such a small time frame with seemingly no injuries or anything as they do so, especially in those all important connective tissues that have stopped me in my tracks . How are their bodies coping with repeated straight arm hammer, weighted sets, ring work etc. 

im certain these same guys aren't following any where near the kind of structured programming that gst sets out so im intrigued on what you guys think of this kind of thing 

I progressed to a certain level in my calisthenics training but my unstructured and somewhat naive programming got me in the state I am today with my elbows , maybe a lot of them will follow, who knows, but I never got near achieving things like a planche which was always the most taxing  thing I tried yet so many of these newbies are able to get it or at least get closer than I ever did .

Before joining gst and through my calisthenics years i would often read your forums and get the little tips I could as a non member so I always did the SSC on all the moves I was training but as I say the planche and straight arm work i never got close as my elbows would always tell me to back off . 

As a gst trainee very much in rehab it literally pains me to see guys attempting  things I know they aren't ready for, but who am I to chime in on their posts after what has happened to me . 

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I'd just  be very interested to hear your opinions on this.  Anyone in a similar position to me who can't train as they would like I'm reaching out to you for sympathy lol 

- Leigh - (a very frustrated yet now on the right path I want to be on, trainee) 

I have to disagree completely, and this is completely normal since you are not working daily with calisthenics athletes.

When I made a post on how to prevent injury to the elbows like inner and also brachiioradialis syndrome I received up to 100 messages asking for tips on how to rehab. when i did another video explaining the importance of the mobility for the rotator cuff injury I received some 70 messages more. when I told about why people break their shoulder doing muscle ups too early I received 30 messages more. are you still convinced that calisthenics athletes do not get injuries?

I had to work with guys with a torn bicep (after surgery) to be rehabbed, torn sternum chest fibers, torn supraspinatus, chronic elbows injury and much more. trust me, they got more injury than crossfit.