This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gym rat who is getting into calisthenics/bodyweight dynamics. Critique my handstand progress.

Started by John Davis, January 24, 2017 · 3 Replies · 116 Views

John Davis

Hi guys. I'm a "bodybuilder" in that I work out all the time and mainly focus on strength/physique. Lately though, I've gotten bored with that and I've gotten VERY interested in bodyweight dynamics and calisthenics.

 

As of January 7th I couldn't even do a headstand. On January 9th I did my first. Obviously, my mobility is very lacking, but the strength is not an issue.

 

Anyway, I'm now working on handstands. On january 12th I nailed my first handstand, for 8 seconds, but it was with terrible form as you can see below:

 

 

Yesterday, I did a handstand for almost 20 seconds. I did another that I got on video below that was 16 seconds. I feel like I'm progressing quickly, but I want your opinion on weak points or deficiencies that you can see. In the video below you can already see that my shoulders have opened up a good bit and my body is straighter, but there's still some issues. I can only stop myself from over/under jumping maybe 3/10 times. So 3/10 times that I attempt actually results in a handstand. Obviously that is pretty frustrating.

 

 

I've always been battling numbess/tingling/pain in my left hand. Both wrists hurt also. I think I need to slow down because it feels like I've done too much too soon. I've been practicing at least 3-45 minutes each day. Sometimes longer.

 

Thanks for your time, and I appreciate any help I can get!

 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi John,

Great to hear about your enthusiasm for bodyweight training. GST will definitely help you advance here. 

You're strong! But remember, strength without mobility is a recipe for injuries awaiting. 

I'd recommend to focus on the basics in the Handstand One course. This will build strength and mobility in your shoulder girdle as well as wrist series to stretch and strengthening the wrist. 

Nothing will kill you're progress more than injuries. You should start addressing mobility deficits asap :) 

Tanya Hill

Hi John, 

Mastering the basics and building a solid foundation base is key for body weight. 

Take your time and work through Coach's Handstand one course. Coach covers lots of wrist work  and shoulder prep that willl help you in the long run. 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @John Davis

Welcome! I came from weight training too. Awesome progress in your Handstand. Yes you need to work on your mobility because the stronger you get, the more tight you will be. Never train through pain. Do not neglect the wrist stretches and wrist strengthening exercises. :) Good luck in training.