This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower back discomfort with Stretch Series

Started by David Tapson, January 24, 2017 · 2 Replies · 91 Views

David Tapson

So I've just started the Stretch series (was already doing Foundation) and by the end of the week my lower back was in some discomfort.

I suspect because my hamstrings are tight and my back is probably being stretched more than my hamstrings.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed - I'm not keen to pick up a back injury right at the beginning.

Suspect I should be using yoga blocks for the pancake type exercises?

Regards

Dave

Everett Carroll

Hey Dave,

First off, I suggest heading in to see a chiropractor or other medical professional. You don't want to tamper with lower back pain or try to get a diagnosis on the web. Remember to never stretch through pain. Keep the intensity of your stretches low, never pushing any of them beyond a 4 out of 10. 

Stretch blocks are a great idea if you are particularly tight as they allow you to achieve anterior pelvic tilt and remove the stress from your lower back. If you are in doubt of your form, please send in a video to our video review service or form checks section of this forum. We're always there to provide feedback for you. 

Tanya Hill

Hi Dave, 

I agree with Everett 100% on seeking medical advice and submitting a video. 

When you mentioned the stretch series are you doing all three each week? What stretch course is giving you the back pain?