This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE8 Wall Runs

Started by Samin Ishtiaq, January 24, 2017 · 24 Replies · 340 Views

Samin Ishtiaq

Took me a long time to get through PE7. Now I feel I'm free!

So, next one. Can you check my form please. I move around a lot (understandable), and often my legs come apart to keep my balance (should be corrected, probably). 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Samin,

You're off to a pretty good start. Make sure that you are pushing tall through your shoulders. By pushing tall through the shoulders, you will be able to feel more control in your handstand. Also, shift your weight over your 'Post' hand as you lift your hands up to help keep your balance.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Samin, actually you need first to shift the weight, if not the absorption of the weight on the not-supporting hand will too heavy for your passive structure like the labrum and we want to avoid that.

Samin Ishtiaq

Thanks Jeffrey and Alex. Shifting weight to my next arm is definitely what I'm missing. Right now, it looks a bit desperate (not just looks, it is)! Right now, I'm suddenly moving my weight from one hand to the next. 

"shift your weight" implies doing it slowly, while my first hand is still on the ground? I'd appreciate any tips or cues on shifting my weight. 

 

Suzanna McGee
4 hours ago, Samin Ishtiaq said:

"shift your weight" implies doing it slowly, while my first hand is still on the ground? I'd appreciate any tips or cues on shifting my weight. 

I am also working on this one, and I had some good runs, and sometimes not. I am noticing that the shifting the weight makes a big difference. When I get my hands closer together (directly below the shoulders) it is easier to shift the weight. (But I don't feel as comfortable in that stance, yet, because I was doing my PE7 slightly wider… so now I go back to PE7, more narrow). Sometimes when working on PE8, I just transfer my weight fully on one arm, not even lifting the other hand, and just feel where my body is, trying to keep a nice line, etc… then other side. Trying to build the strength and balance on one arm only. Then some days I try to touch the shoulder, the real wall runs. But as soon as I feel a little too "stump stump", I go back to PE7 practice and transferring the weight only…  I am not a coach, so not sure if they will approve, but I feel like it is making me slowly stronger in that one-arm position, while also remaining graceful. Or, that's my goal :)

Samin Ishtiaq

Thanks for your experience report, Suzanna. Useful to read!

I'm finding right now that I have to lift the first hand to transfer weight. But maybe I need to be more subtle about it.

Alessandro Mainente

Post a video of your attempt about shifting the weight.

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Alessandro,

Video here

I'd really appreciate your advice here.

 

Alessandro Mainente

the error here and it is pretty clear as i was suspecting, perfectly matched my doubt. well look at the image here

wall runs correction.png

your global error it is that you are moving the feet and the hips to the side but it is 10 times harder compared to to right where you move the hips to the side while HOLDING the feet in the same position. in this way the hips are used to counter balanced the position.

practice the correct way it is the key.

Samin Ishtiaq

Thanks, Alessandro, will attempt to fix this following your advice. Video to come!

Samin Ishtiaq

 

It seems to make a difference! Leaning out with my hips shifts the weight over to the next arm. Thanks!

My forms still needs lots of work. I'm not leaning enough, my legs are not together. In particular, you can see that I'm weak when I'm on my right arm (I'm right handed, so I would thought the left would be weaker, but I can probably balance better on my right). If you think this is a good start, I'll stick here for 3X6r. Any advice and corrections on this appreciated.

Alessandro Mainente

Some differences are still presented in between the 2 arms, my suggestion it is to lean , lift the hand and help yourself with the fingers, in the way the shifting of the weight will be more gradual.

Suzanna McGee
22 hours ago, Samin Ishtiaq said:

I'm weak when I'm on my right arm (I'm right handed, so I would thought the left would be weaker,

I found this too… It was easier on my left (non-dominant) arm and much harder on my right. I have figured that my right (dominant) arm was a little bit tighter around the shoulder/lats. I added extra cat stretches and some more extra for the right arm ( @Alessandro Mainente's recommendation) and they are getting more even now. 

Alessandro Mainente

Absolutely YES, sometime tight it is a result of a condition, condition means that the force it is not exerted correctly through the joints simply because there are some restrictions.

Leo Trinidad

this is why it is so important to have a balanced program. doing handstands along with foundations will definitely yield better results as long as you also do your mobility diligently. :)

Samin Ishtiaq

Another video. 

I was ill for a bit, then went back to wall handstands for a while. Here's my current form: 

https://youtu.be/7HLKyG6R87k

I'm still definitely un-balanced: stronger on my right arm. I think I'm shifting my weight on to the arm, and then tilting my hips to aid my balance. But tell me if I'm not! I need help and advice here. 

The gymnast in the video does it really fast. Should I do it at that speed, or at least aim for that speed much later?
And we can't see the gymnast's legs: are they together all the time, or spread to help him balance? 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Samin, as all the skills which have a technical component the tendency it is to acquire speed as you acquire confidence. so my suggestion here it is to complete at least 20 reps where you move smoothly and with fluidity from left to right with the same speed, then increase the general speed of the exercise.

Suzanna McGee

@Samin Ishtiaq a while ago when I started to work on the wall runs, @Alessandro Mainente told me that my arms were too wide apart (and yours are even wider) and thus it is much harder to transfer the weight. I got my arms closer, but it was interesting that I suddenly couldn't do the wall runs at all and I had to back off to PE7 and build my handstand with hands closer to each other. Also I think that it showed the lack of my shoulder flexion, which I also improved since then… Now I am back on the wall runs with hands closer to each other. The hips need to move much less from side to side. Maybe that could help you too? Below just an example, it was a month ago. I may be even closer now. I need to take a new video :) Also, in the video I am forgetting to squeeze my glutes and keep it all tight, I do a little better with that now and it feels like it gives me more power. Also pushing really hard to the floor with that supporting arm helps. 

 

Samin Ishtiaq

@Suzanna McGeeThanks for your reply, it's super helpful!

My arms were wide, but so are the arms of the gymnast in the video. But you have a good point, I'll try narrow them. It will certainly help with reducing the distance my hips have to travel. 

In this video, I wasn't pushing that hard on the floor with the one arm. I do that now, it makes life a bit easier. 

OK, need to do some thinking and more work. See you on this Topic again soon :-)

@Alessandro MainenteWould you have more to add to help me here? 

 

Alessandro Mainente

No more, you are in the phase of the confidence, when technical skills must be trained it is a matter of doing it again again to acquire perfect technique.

Samin Ishtiaq

Thank you both @Alessandro Mainente and @Suzanna McGee. 

Samin Ishtiaq

Confidence? Comedy certainly:

 

#GoodThingTheSofaWasThere

Suzanna McGee

Heee heee, that was funny :) it was a nice and slow slide…  you have your hands nicely narrow though  :-)

BTW, your link was not working (the edit tags in it mess it up)… here is the correct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQUBNGlioE

 

Samin Ishtiaq

Back again. My strength has certainly improved on this, hopefully form has too. (It's on a carpeted floor --- long story --- so I lose some of my balance.)

 

I'd appreciate any comments.

 

 

 

Jin Liu

Really enjoyed this thread. @Samin Ishtiaq I'm totally with you on this one. I'm not on PE8 yet, but I tried wall run once, and I did even worse than you did in your very first video. I couldn't even lift up one finger, and had no clue how to fix that. I didn't try further thinking I'm maybe just not ready. 

I really appreciate @Suzanna McGee's tips! Especially the one on keep the hands closer in PE7. I'm on PE7 now, and coach Luke did say I needed to bring hands closer together. I'll keep that in mind while I'm still on PE7. Suzanna your wall run looks so stable!!