This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Exact recipes

Started by Peter Varga, January 23, 2017 · 8 Replies · 179 Views

Peter Varga

Hi, i'm following thrive now. I don't have much time to cook, so i've hired a personal chef to do it for me. I'm really excited about it as I can pretty much eat anything I "should" to the exact gram if I like. Finally I can really eat as optimal as it gets and I want to make best use of this awesome opportunity! 

The challenge for me is finding recipes that would follow Thrive that I could give him to cook. I'm on lesson6 now - will it include some very concrete recipes & portion sizes later? I'm sticking to some basics now, but I'm starting to feel lack of variability. (eggs or jogurt every morning, lunch always salat & meat ...)

Would be awesome to get like 10 great tasting, nutritional recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacking (pre/post workout, during the day) that I could rotate.

Thanks tones for any response!!!

Everett Carroll

Hey Peter,

Awesome questions. I'm incredibly jealous of your personal chef! More concrete portion sizes do come in to play later. For now, focus on completing your tasks each day and get as creative as you'd like outside of them. I'm sure others on this forum will have some recipe ideas for you.

As long as you are getting your water, fat, veggies, and protein at the prescribed meals, you can add in whatever else you'd like. The course will get more and more specific as you progress.

One tip I have for you is to not feel confined to specific types of proteins or fats at this time. Jeff's suggestions in the lessons are of course excellent and nutritious but the world of nutrition is immense so throw some variety into your diet!

Jeff Serven

Peter, how long are you planning on having your meals prepped for you? As you progress further we could have some real fun with those recipes. 

Ryan Bailey

Sushi, sushi, and sushi lunch dishes.

Warming soups from scratch for dinners during this winter time.

These are ideas that come to my mind if I had a chef; dishes that take a lot of care and time to prepare but have a lot of bang for your buck.

Yep, I'm jealous too!

Julia Quigley

Add me to the jealous crowd :) I imagine that if you share your dietary guidelines, your chef will probably be able to adjust recipes she or he already uses. 

There are also two threads on the forum you might find helpful--one is recipes and one is pictures of meals. Good inspiration there.

Peter Varga

Thanks everyone for the help & replies! No need to be jealous - contrary - maybe inspiration for you guys to try to find some similar arrangement. These private chefs don't have to be super expensive and they can cook meals for 2-3days within 2hours. For Groceries you can shop online and save time. So effectively it's cheaper & faster than eating out all the time and you can work while it's being cooked so probably you can earn more money during that time than you would be paying to the chef. I always though that i'll be able to afford this only once I exit some successful business but it's not so. Especially if you can be bit flexible on the time, the cook can stop by on the way to/from his daily chef job in some restaurant and earn a bit extra money.. I simply found some website that was gathering chefs, met/spoke to like 10 of them and chose one that seemed like best value/money.

15 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Peter, how long are you planning on having your meals prepped for you? As you progress further we could have some real fun with those recipes. 

Jeff, I hope this is long term solution. So far I plan to do it indefinitely. Possibly even shorten the cooking periods. Now he comes 2x/week for 2-3hours. Sometimes the food, esp. salads are not so good anymore at the end so i'm thinking about getting him 3x/wk. So challenge is a)what exactly to cook b)some way to go around the fact that the food is perishable and is not always prepared on the spot. If you have some great recipes, send them over - i'm happy to have some real fun as you suggest! :)

Jeff Serven

Good questions. 

You don't want to get around the perishable thing. Food thats fresh goes bad, food that isn't doesn't. 

As for the specific recipes; the chef should come up with that. When I hire chefs for my athletes I tell them what foods are okay and what is not allowed then they come up with the food after that I tell them do/don't make this again. Any chef that needs a recipe isn't a chef in my experience of hiring them 

Peter Varga

He can come up with recipes (and does!). But i'm unsure about the exact quantities, best combinations and timing of all nutrients. But I guess that will come up later in the course I guess..

One question though - I see you're basically suggesting to avoid carbs in the morning. Does this change if i'm always training in the morning @Jeff Serven ? I usually wake up 6:30am and like to go to gym 8am and have some breakfast 7am so i'm having energy. If i'm doing cardio (like swimming, I could be in the pool at 6:30am, waking up at 6am having no breakfast).

I'm wandering what is the best pre/post workout meals if I workout in the morning like this. Shouldn't some carbs be involved? 

I figured out that working out in the morning is actually the only thing that allows me to stick to it every day (as here is nothing else that can come "before" and override my schedule) so I would like to keep it like that.

Cheers!

Jeff Serven

Peter sorry to be vague, ask the specific recipes question in one of the later lessons where I can give you a better idea without giving all the detail away to everyone. 

Thrive doesn't say you have to avoid carbs its just my preference. Just focus on completing the steps and if you need carbs thats great. If not thats great too. We will cross that bridge later.