This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Walks Alternative

Started by Michael McGuinnes, January 23, 2017 · 1 Replies · 91 Views

Michael McGuinnes

I am 6 months into the fundamentals course and have made noticeable progress in all but one exercise:

shoulder walks

To put it simply, I either lack the mobility or strength to complete even one good rep.  In order to perform shoulder extension I have to sit quite high in order to get my hands touching.  Last workout I gave up on the walks and just sat in the extension in hopes my mobility will improve.  

My question: is sitting in extension the best way to eventually be able to perform walks or are there better exercises to promote progress?  I'd like to simply sub something in for shoulder walks during the upper thoracic program.

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

This is a great question. In the stretch courses, we want to work on both active and passive range of motion so performing both the hold and the walks in shoulder extension is going to be best for your overall shoulder extension progress.

It is totally normal to have to sit up very high at first in order to bring your pinkies back together (I was there not too long ago). Over time, you will be able to stay lower and lower but it is important to not push it too hard. Stay patient and keep each TB session totally comfortable. Don't try to force progress. Slow and steady is the way.  

It often feels like progress is slow with the stretch courses but plenty will be achieved by consistently showing up to the sessions. Each year I look back and marvel at how much I've improved even though I rarely notice improvements from day to day.