This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE9 reverse leg lift

Started by Marcus Patterson, January 23, 2017 · 6 Replies · 161 Views

Marcus Patterson

is it normal for your eyes to literally pop out of your head when doing this exercise?

 

I actually have exploded blood just under my eyes, in my skin from training this morning. Or is it me?

Suzanna McGee

I thought my whole head would explode when I was doing them the first time. I did 4x3r then… Now I am at 4x8r and the pressure is not as bad, as my form and smoothness is improving. Maybe on the last set, toward the end, I feel a little bit explosive, haha, but besides that, it's getting more comfy. 

Marcus Patterson
36 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I thought my whole head would explode when I was doing them the first time. I did 4x3r then… Now I am at 4x8r and the pressure is not as bad, as my form and smoothness is improving. Maybe on the last set, toward the end, I feel a little bit explosive, haha, but besides that, it's getting more comfy. 

I hope so! No joke, I look like I have two black eyes that´s how bad they are after this morning!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Marcus,

You went too hard. Make sure that you are not pushing yourself too hard too soon. Each of the progressions in the course will be a new experience for your body. Because of this, you will need some time to adjust to each new progression. Remember that GST isn't about killing it, it is about refinement in smart, effective training. Also, make sure that you DO NOT hold your breath as you are training!!!

Nicholas Murray

You may be inadvertently performing the Valsalva maneuver, where you constrict your throat and use your diaphragm to increase tension in your abdomen and chest in order to generate enough tension to lift your legs.

Try just hanging upside down for 10-20 seconds and breathing normally with a relaxed and throat: your chest and abdomen should move as they do when you are standing upright. Your eyes should feel "normal".

Try 1 or 2 leg lefts, keeping the throat open during the lift. Breathe in while lowering the legs, breathe out while lifting the legs.

Also,

  • ensure you keep the back of your head off the stall bars (or whatever you're using): it's easy to substitute a neck press for a leg lift!
  • keep your knees locked, toes pointed.
  • breathe!

 

Suzanna McGee
19 minutes ago, Nicholas Murray said:

ensure you keep the back of your head off the stall bars (or whatever you're using): it's easy to substitute a neck press for a leg lift!

I do notice that my head wants to brace itself toward the stall bars during this move. I am going to think about it too… (even though I am not the OP, thanks for the tips, they are great!) 

Marcus Patterson

Keep the head off the bars? I did not realise that was part of the movement! I have now completed the 5 sets fo 10 reps but with my head against the bars, do I need to go back?