This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I restart OAP training if I cannot master RCPE1?

Started by Chris Harvey, January 23, 2017 · 11 Replies · 272 Views

Chris Harvey

Should I restart OAP training if I cannot master RCPE1?

OAP is always my love as it is so cool, but I have stop training OAP for few months, because I feel I may get more unbalanced (I only train my left OAP because my right shoulder is unstable and I afraid of injury.

After training for GST, I find that I even RCPE1 is not easy for me. I am not used to lateral pulling (I only do vertical pulling before), my right shoulder is particularly weak

The reason I want to restart my left OAP training, because it is cool and I do not want to give up that feat.

Any advice?

 

 

Daniel Janyicsek

 absolutely not! you need to master the basics! it is not as fun or sexy as the oap but it is neccesary  to develop basic movement pattern and strenght. 

take your time with the basics, to  avoid serious problems occurring further down the line. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The primary elbow flexor during the pull training are the brachioradialis, the fact that you cannot complete the PE says a lot about their conditioning, if you are struggling probably you have never trained the elbow flexor properly. I have a good experience to share with you. I have a student who has a couple of OAP with the right and 1 with the left. I prepared him to a competition and then he had 1 month of full rest. after he restarted but he had lost both the one arm pullup. 3 weeks were enough on the PE1 to get the necessary physical and neural stimulation to get back one arm pull up. 

also if your shoulder feel unstable with the arm moves laterally it is a sign of bad stabilization and you should for now take off the one arm work.

My best student actually do 4 oap with left and 3 with right. he completed all the rope climbing exercises from F1 up to F4. in the previous 3 years ZERO elbows or shoulder problem.

Chris Harvey
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The primary elbow flexor during the pull training are the brachioradialis, the fact that you cannot complete the PE says a lot about their conditioning, if you are struggling probably you have never trained the elbow flexor properly. I have a good experience to share with you. I have a student who has a couple of OAP with the right and 1 with the left. I prepared him to a competition and then he had 1 month of full rest. after he restarted but he had lost both the one arm pullup. 3 weeks were enough on the PE1 to get the necessary physical and neural stimulation to get back one arm pull up. 

also if your shoulder feel unstable with the arm moves laterally it is a sign of bad stabilization and you should for now take off the one arm work.

My best student actually do 4 oap with left and 3 with right. he completed all the rope climbing exercises from F1 up to F4. in the previous 3 years ZERO elbows or shoulder problem.

Thanks you all! I have some questions

1. The first student you mentioned, lost both OAP, but able to get it back by only by doing RCPE1? It seems to me RCPE1 does not trains much on bicep, and biceps should be very important for doing OAP?

2. Before I only train for veritcal pull ups. (I can do 25 pulls up before). Do you mean it do not trains Brachioradialis properly like lateral row?

3. When I do RCPE1, I feel I am weakest at the position when my elbow become more and more flexed. Can I say I have weak Brachioradialis?

4. My left arm which can do OAP, has quite stable shoulder and injury-free elbow. However it may have relatively weak lateral pulling strength. So should I train for OAP? (My right shoulder is unstable, therefore I do not train it)

Thanks mates

Chris Harvey
1 hour ago, Daniel Janyicsek said:

 absolutely not! you need to master the basics! it is not as fun or sexy as the oap but it is neccesary  to develop basic movement pattern and strenght. 

take your time with the basics, to  avoid serious problems occurring further down the line. 

 

It is true that basics are not sexy:( I feel like I am losing my muscle mass

Coach Sommer

Hello Chris,

Easily corrected ... simply do some maintenance strength work after your main GST assigned workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Marcus Patterson
3 hours ago, Chris Harvey said:

It is true that basics are not sexy:( I feel like I am losing my muscle mass

It´s funny you should say that. I have been stuck on rc pe1 forever but my bicep is now super hard and rounded when flexed. In all the training I have ever done in my life, I have never has such a feeling in my bicep. 

Chris Harvey
3 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Chris,

Easily corrected ... simply do some maintenance strength work after your main GST assigned workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks coach, I may do 10 one arm pull up per day:)

Chris Harvey
1 hour ago, Marcus Patterson said:

It´s funny you should say that. I have been stuck on rc pe1 forever but my bicep is now super hard and rounded when flexed. In all the training I have ever done in my life, I have never has such a feeling in my bicep. 

Oh I do not feel that. I only feel my rear delts are working and growing. I wonder If I do something wrong?

Marcus Patterson
Just now, Chris Harvey said:

Oh I do not feel that. I only feel my rear delts are working and growing. I wonder If I do something wrong?

Have you done a form check video?

Chris Harvey

here:)

Kai Ewert

in your one arm pullup (chinup) video, you are avoiding the two hardest parts of the movement, initiation from a deadhang and full elbow flexion at the top. The early RC PEs should help you with retraction and thereby the initiation part. All of Foundation will help you build more balanced and stable shoulders. 

But do take Coach's advice and keep some maintenance level of OAP work in there. That usually only means 30-40% of the volume that got you to where you are now, so not too much (10 rep could be too much)