This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Synvisc-one for knees

Started by David Belcher, January 20, 2017 · 5 Replies · 123 Views

David Belcher

Does anyone have experience with Synvisc one injections in their knees?

I have to get injections in both knees this week because of loss of cartlige and bone on bone. Still want to training, curious if there is anyone on the GB team that is familiar with it.

Thanks!

David

Tanya Hill

Hi David, 

I have not personally dealt with this. However Im curious if you have any pains in the knees when doing squats or lunges?

David Belcher

Yes. I'm not able to do a lunge, my knee will just collapse. I have full range of motion in my knees but have pain doing even a bodyweight squat. I was told after MRI that nothing is torn just cartlige damage.

Douglas Wadle

synvisc is basically a temporizing measure.  It's not going to help long term, but may give you a few months of relief, occasionally as long as a year.  It would typically only be used as a bridge prior to knee replacement surgery.  Best to discuss your individual case w/ your surgeon, as we really can't be giving medical advice on a forum.  

David Belcher

I guess I'm more asking if there's anyone that has had them and still active with it. 

Ben Sanford

I've had something similar - Orthovisc.  Similar to Synvisc but is a series of 3 injections.  They work for maybe 6-12 months.  But I think they are very useful.  Getting your knees working again will help your workout and allow strength gains which in and of itself is a virtuous cycle for the knees.  Doing GB lower body workouts have also helped knees.