This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Piriformis Strecht Alrternative

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, January 20, 2017 · 11 Replies · 357 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi GB team,

The piriformis strecht is almost impossible for me to do it and if I do it I don t feel any strecht in the piriformis because my quads and psoas are still very tight and I can t lower myself enough. Using blocks under me is not enough, I have to hold my self with 2 chairs because I am sitting SO HIGH in this strecht. My leg behind is almost in a 90º angles. I really need to strecht piriformis because I m not getting better just by doing swivel hips and my right piriformis is specially tight, rotating externally my right leg and causing me problems in all the pelvic area and lower back pain.

So my question is if there are alternative stretches to this one or is possible to modify this strecht more than just using blocks until my quads and hip flexors become more flexible?

Alessandro Mainente

An alternative it is to stretch first the psoas and also perform the piriformis in a standing variation. simply stay in front of a table and put the leg on the table in the exact position as in the floor version. in this way we can take of the psoas limitation but also its benefits, in fact a tight psoas increases the amount of lumbar hyperextension which is a good thing to avoid the PPT in the piriformis stretch.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks Alessandro and Jennifer! This is exactly what I tried! I ll do both, stretching before the piriformis and stretching with the leg on a table.

Andrew Mckeown
On 1/20/2017 at 3:55 AM, Jennifer Rodriguez said:

Thank you Jennifer. When I try and stretch the left side I get massive pressure on the outside of the knee. This stretch with the toes pulled back variation was exactly the stretch I was looking for :)

Igor Knezevic
On 20/01/2017 at 2:04 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

An alternative it is to stretch first the psoas and also perform the piriformis in a standing variation. simply stay in front of a table and put the leg on the table in the exact position as in the floor version. in this way we can take of the psoas limitation...

This is exactly how I do it and its working great.

Antonio Alías Montoya

It has released a lot my piriformis! I wasn t getting a good strecht doing it on the floor because of tight hip flexors.

Graeme Wright
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Jennifer Rodriguez said:

This is a great channel, thanks for the recommendation!

Will Kriski

I have trouble feeling this one as well.

Richard Thomas
10 hours ago, Will Kriski said:

I have trouble feeling this one as well.

So did I, until I squared off my hips properly, checked my alignment and kept the knee high. It's unmistakable when you find it:)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Try the standing variation or kneeling. It is unmistakeable.