This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General Beginner (noob) questions

Started by Christopher Woodall, January 19, 2017 · 9 Replies · 234 Views

Christopher Woodall

Hi,

I'm in my third week of Thrive and I have a few questions that I would like clarified, so any help would be appreciated.

1) Does the fat that you cook breakfast with count towards your Task 2? I currently have eggs in the morning cooked in a about 2 teaspoons of either butter or coconut oil. I think this is sufficient, am I correct?

2) Do fruit or potatoes count towards either of the vegetable tasks? I have been assuming that they do not but life would be easier if they do. By fruit I mean fresh fruit and potatoes i.e. not chips or crisps.

3)Are tinned sardines an acceptable source of omega-3 fat and protein. The current brand I am using are tinned sunflower oil which I know is not ideal.

4) How clean are we supposed to be with the rest of our diet during the week? I'm not finding it too difficult hitting my targets during the week but apart from the items specified in the tasks I am pretty much eating and drinking what I want. Is this correct?

5)Sundays, I eat and drink what I want, within reason?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Chris

Tanya Hill

HI Christopher, 

Thank you for reaching out, great questions. 

The eggs are a good source of protein and fat so they definitely count towards your fat goal. 

The fruit and potatoes no count towards vegetable tasks. They do count towards carbs though. 

Sardines are a great source for omega-3 fat and protein so you are definitely on the right track there. 

Everything in moderation, you don't want to put all your hard work to waste. Im curious to hear what you are eating on Sunday's! 

 

 

Julia Quigley

Christopher, welcome to Thrive :) 

 Have you been reading the lessons that accompany the tasks? They are paired to give extra information about the task (I.e. What are good sources of fat for breakfast, what kinds of carbs you have to choose from, etc.)

Christopher Woodall

Hi,

OK, great, I live in Scotland so Sundays are boiled potatoes and haggis :)

Yes I have been reading the lessons with each task which is why I'm pretty sure I was on the right track but just wanted to double check and introduce myself.

Thanks very much

 

Julia Quigley

Got it. Some people have overlooked the lessons, so I wanted to be sure you weren't missing all that great information. 

Those sound like great Sundays!

Jeff Serven

yes, no, yes, yes, yes 

Katherine Zodiaco

I'm loving Thrive. I just got to putting breakfast together and wonder if I could get a suggestion - 

I get up and hike an hour or so with my dog. Then I come home do some minor stretches and shower. Then I cook 3 eggs (in butter), coffee with half & half (a lot) and 3 cups of fruit. 

My goal is to lose excess fat. Even though I've been up and exercised for an hour, would you still suggest I remove the fruit from breakfast?  Maybe just have the 3 eggs and coffee? I'd love that - saves time! 

I think I'll end up being very hungry within 2 hours of just eggs and will need to add a snack before lunch (greek yogurt & fruit). I currently do not snack between meals unless I'm hungry (usually am not).

What do you think? Go for the eggs only and add the snack if needed, or stick with the 3 cups of fruit and eggs an hour after waking?

Thank you,
Z

Antonio Alías Montoya
1 hour ago, Katherine Zodiaco said:

I'm loving Thrive. I just got to putting breakfast together and wonder if I could get a suggestion - 

I get up and hike an hour or so with my dog. Then I come home do some minor stretches and shower. Then I cook 3 eggs (in butter), coffee with half & half (a lot) and 3 cups of fruit. 

My goal is to lose excess fat. Even though I've been up and exercised for an hour, would you still suggest I remove the fruit from breakfast?  Maybe just have the 3 eggs and coffee? I'd love that - saves time! 

I think I'll end up being very hungry within 2 hours of just eggs and will need to add a snack before lunch (greek yogurt & fruit). I currently do not snack between meals unless I'm hungry (usually am not).

What do you think? Go for the eggs only and add the snack if needed, or stick with the 3 cups of fruit and eggs an hour after waking?

Thank you,
Z

Hi Katherine, I d eliminate the fruit and if you wish change it for veggies. I d add another egg, some fish, some meat, some nuts or some yogurt. Then you won t be hungry so soon. If you take away some not approved food in the morning (fruit) just take extra of the approved food (protein and fat). I take half lemon juice in water and that s not a problem because it has almost no carbs. If you still decide to keep eating fruit choose those ones with less carbs like berries, and just a little. But you said you d love to remove because it saves time, so go ahead! Good luck!

Antonio Alías Montoya

When i say veggies I mean very low carb veggies, not squashes or potatos.

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi @Antonio Alías Montoya, I've been having 4 eggs & 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with my coffee after my hike and I'm feelin' good! So happy to be making small meaningful tweaks to my nutrition. Thank you for your support and suggestions.