This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cambridge

Started by Samin Ishtiaq, January 19, 2017 · 19 Replies · 967 Views

Samin Ishtiaq

Who's around and working hard in Cambridge? Roll call, please!

@Danny Covington @Kate Abernethy @Maria Marklove @Henry Skinner

Who's going to the July seminar? Anyone want to get together and train?

Samin

Maria Marklove

I'm going to the July seminar, and totally up for training together with people in the meantime!

I'm also hosting a meetup on Saturday, if anyone wants to join. It's the first meeting of the Cambridge Athlete Network (which I created recently to try to get like-minded people together):

 

 

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Maria,

Sounds an interesting talk. Sadly, I'm busy then. I've signed up to the meetup group.

Training together, anyone else?

 

Samin

 

Danny Covington

Hi Samin, 

Unfortunately I'm not able to make the July seminar but am definitely up for some training in the meantime. Last time we spoke I think I mentioned that I was looking to get a hall at NCA for people to meet up and train - If enough people are up for it I am happy to facilitate. Or if you're still going to the Monday open session at CGA perhaps we could train there?

 

Danny

Maria Marklove

I live really close to NCA, so that would be super convenient for me. I'm up for it :)

Samin Ishtiaq

The CGA (Cambridge Gymnastics Academy) session on Monday at NCA (North Cambridge Academy) is not really an open session: it's semi-structured (which is good, I wanted it to be more structured!). Also, the elite childrens session has been extended, so that it overlaps much more with the adult one. Meaning that there's not much time or space to do GB during a CGA session! 

@Danny CovingtonIf you could get some space at NCA, that would be good. Or, is there time/space at LittleGym? 

@Maria Marklove Do you train at the crossfit nr the Junction? Could we meet there?

Samin

Maria Marklove

@Samin Ishtiaq I sort of train at the Crossfit near the Junction. I've had a very bad peroneal tendinopathy injury for quite some time now, so I'm unable to cycle that far at the moment. I try to get there on the weekends though, so I'd be happy to meet up on a weekend at some point. I think they charge something like £10 for a guest to drop in and use their gym though.

I'm mainly using RP fitness at the moment, because it's much nearer my house.

I'm about to go on holiday in a few days, so we will have to at least wait until I'm back, in early February :)

What kind of stage are you at with gymnastic bodies? I only just started in November, but I've got about 6-7 years of weightlifting under my belt, which has certainly helped (though there is lots to work on!)

Kate Abernethy

Hi everybody, I'm keeping an eye on this thread and will be back in action once I'm recovered (the usual annual chest infection). If it helps, the University Sports Centre has a team training room (with high bars, ropes, rings, and stall bars) available for hire at £30 for a half day I think (will check). The only condition is that one of us is a qualified trainer (otherwise they would have to provide one to cover the session).

Tanya Hill

Hi Kate, 

I wish to you a speedy recovery from your chest infection. You will be stronger then ever when you get back to your training. 

Best Wishes, Tanya

Luke Searra

Keep your head and stay motivated Kate!

Samin Ishtiaq

Hello @Kate Abernethy!

@Maria Marklove: I'm on F1+H1. I was on PE4 and PE5 for most of the F1s but I reset myself when the new interface came out. I'm now on PE1/PE2/PE3 for the F1s, and PE8 for H1. Let's talk more when you're back from holiday. Hope you're going somewhere sunny!

We could take up Kate's idea of the University Centre. Anyone got a trainer certificate? Can't I get one off a cornflakes packet? :-)

 

Maria Marklove

@Samin Ishtiaq I am back in Cambridge now. If you'd like to train together, let me know. The University centre could work, though I don't have a certificate... 

Is it possible just to turn up to/hire out the Cambridge Gymnastics Academy?

Samin Ishtiaq

@Maria MarkloveAh, I'm away for a week from Tues :-( 

@Danny Covington was looking into hiring the CGA hall. I don't think it's possible to just turn up, they are pretty packed with their normal classes. 

We could just meet in a park --- it's warmer than it used to be :-) 

 

 

Danny Covington

I'm currently tied up with extra work commitments until April which isn't the most fun. After that I can think about hiring a hall or CGA or something. I could dig out my gymnastics certificate if it would help us rent somewhere? Not really sure if it's applicable but worth a shot I guess! Either way I still very much want to pursue a training group in Cambridge!

Kate Abernethy

Well I got the cost factor totally wrong, the Sports Centre's team training room with rope, rings, stall bars, softish blocks, bar arrangement for single/ Korean dips, softish floor, etc (maybe I could ask permission to film it so you can see for yourself?) is £50 per hour. They would require Danny to go through the code of conduct with staff before the session started.

How does this sound? Another alternative is visiting me out in Longstanton and using my high bar and parallel bars in the garden and stall bars in the garage with no time pressures :-)

Samin Ishtiaq

@Kate AbernethyThe alternative sounds good! Especially as I heard there was cake involved too :-)

How about planning to meet up soon, wherever? Weekend late afternoons are usually good for me. Or I can escape early from work on some weekdays too (but not Mon or Thurs). 

 

Kate Abernethy

Cake?!?! I think it was boiled free range eggs and drinking tea :) 

Yes lets meet up. This weekend any good? Maybe I should create a Cambridge GST group on meet up so we Cambs-based people all have one website to keep an eye on?

Maria Marklove

I can't do Saturday, but Sunday might be a possibility. Unfortunately I don't have a car (and I currently have a bad tendon injury in my leg so I can't cycle that far). So, I'm not sure how I'll get to Longstanton, but it sounds good!

Phin

Hi guys, did you set up a FB group for this? I'm in London but would be up for travelling out for a day to come and do some training :)

Kate Abernethy

Hi Fi, 

I set up a WhatsApp chat group for this. Currently we are looking at getting together sometime on the weekend of 29th/30th April. It would be great to see you :) One of us could pick you up from the train station. We'd have to do hourly F7s to make sure you have a full day...

I'll PM you with the WhatsApp number.

Kate