This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine thoracic band pull

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 19, 2017 · 15 Replies · 233 Views

Leigh Kettle

In the exercise and picture shown below Wesley demonstrates during the scaling/tips video that if you are struggling with shoulder flexion using the bands to do them without to learn the movement . However when I do these as im lowering my feet come up off the ground and going back up like Claire does in this clip (without feet popping up)  is impossible for me. Why do I struggle with this.? I know you could suggest I trap my feet but Claire doesn't have them trapped here and I'm wondering  what I'm doing wrong to not be able to do this especially as this is a scaled back version . I'm already scaling back a little too much for my liking lol 

many thanks 

leigh 

image.png

Alessandro Mainente

HI Leigh usually this happens for 2 reasons which create a chain of body compensations:

-tight lats

-tight hips flexor and weak abs

YOu can try to actively push down the heels on the floor.

Now you know exactly where the problem is.

Andrew Long

a video would help identify the issue.  Also if you have a big heavy upper body and short thin legs like a boulder that might also be an influencing factor.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Alessandro. I'd go as far as saying you are right in all those areas . Tho before starting gst I could hold a front lever and dragon flag etc so my abs being weak comes as a surprise to me :-/ .

 

Here is a video Andrew for you to see what I mean 

https://youtu.be/vkkHNfb1wjw

Alessandro Mainente

Because Dragon Flag and Front Lever are lats dominant and they do not reflect specifically abs strength. and I would be more specific, abs enough strong to balance your hips flexor.

Andrew Long

In the video it looks like it is probably stronger/tighter hip flexors than abs.  Also maybe a limited rom in the spinal flexion which could be related to ab strength.  you stop curling part way and flop to the ground which is about when your legs come up to compensate.  and like alessandro said dragon flag and front lever are lats dominated.  there are a lot of people who can do them that do not have a hollow body which means their hip flexors are doing a lot of work to hold the legs up.  are you doing foundation training and if so what level are you at on the front lever work?

Suzanna McGee
10 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Tho before starting gst I could hold a front lever and dragon flag etc so my abs being weak comes as a surprise to me :-/ .

Maybe the part of abs that controls your PPT is not as strong, and that's why you flop down so fast. 

Leigh Kettle

Hey Andrew 

yes this makes sense to me . There is definitely a weak link here .

ive just started foundation in October and since then have also started TB and MS . I know my spinal flexion is poor and have since spoken about this in another post. In fact since starting gst I've realised how poor I am in general lol . 

My front lever I am on 60s bent leg hollow body rocks 5x60 which I've just about mastered . 

leigh 

Leigh Kettle

Hi suzanna . Yes this also seems to be the case . I'm still early into gst so hopefully this will come like a lot of other things im finding I'm completely useless at lol 

thank you for you help 

Leigh 

Andrew Long

I would highly recommend posting a video of your hbh rocks if you havent already.  it is very easy to over use your psoas to create the motion in the rock. just in case right?  also back to the original problem, are you completely unable to perform the exercise in the op with bands? perhaps using a different strength band may also be an idea.

Leigh Kettle

Hey Andrew 

here is the video of my hb rocks for you that I posted a bit back 

https://youtu.be/Y6WM3mrO6oA

the reason I'm not able to do this exercise with the bands is that I haven't found any suitable bands as yet and Im also struggling to find  an anchoring point in my tiny home lol . 

Many thanks for your help

leigh 

Andrew Long

Can see the hip flexors kick in a little but not that bad.  seems like the biggest culprit might be the lack of spinal mobility.  your upper back was pretty flat in those rocks.  lucky you are doing the thoracic stretch series ;)

Richard Thomas
9 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey Andrew 

here is the video of my hb rocks for you that I posted a bit back 

https://youtu.be/Y6WM3mrO6oA

the reason I'm not able to do this exercise with the bands is that I haven't found any suitable bands as yet and Im also struggling to find  an anchoring point in my tiny home lol . 

Many thanks for your help

leigh 

Hi Leigh, 

Dunno if this helps but I visited a local (well actually it was miles and miles away) yachting store and bought 3M of shock cord/bungee cord off the roll, of 6mm and 8mm diameter cord, then shortened a little bit to suit. They also supplied plastic grip-on ends to suit and carabiners to clip onto handles. I cannibalised handles from an old theraband/tube thing. I use the 8mm and 6mm cord together for prone, and unclip the 6mm for supine.

good luck

Richard

Leigh Kettle
15 hours ago, Andrew Long said:

Can see the hip flexors kick in a little but not that bad.  seems like the biggest culprit might be the lack of spinal mobility.  your upper back was pretty flat in those rocks.  lucky you are doing the thoracic stretch series ;)

Yes Andrew completely agree I've been told I have flat spot particularly in my thoracic so I'm glad I purchased the TB series . 

Work in progress 

 

Leigh Kettle
11 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

Hi Leigh, 

Dunno if this helps but I visited a local (well actually it was miles and miles away) yachting store and bought 3M of shock cord/bungee cord off the roll, of 6mm and 8mm diameter cord, then shortened a little bit to suit. They also supplied plastic grip-on ends to suit and carabiners to clip onto handles. I cannibalised handles from an old theraband/tube thing. I use the 8mm and 6mm cord together for prone, and unclip the 6mm for supine.

good luck

Richard

Hey Richard 

thank you for this 

are you in the uk ? 

Be interested in where this is located if you are . 

Leigh 

Richard Thomas

Nah, different hemisphere sorry. You might find a shop online. I'll send you a photo so you can see.

image.jpeg