straddle back lever static hold ?

Started by Samuel Carr, February 1, 2010 · 5 Replies · 3,744 Views

Samuel Carr

I just started a new gb steady state cycle. I've moved from the flat tuck back lever variation, to the straddle back lever, but the problem is I can only hold it for a 6 second max using all my strength. So if i divide that by 2 and then do that many sets til it adds up to 60 seconds total, i'd have to do 20 sets of 3 second holds. Because im not proficient at the straddle back lever yet, i can only hold a non-piked ones for 10 of the sets, then the last 10 sets i can't hold it for that long, or the form is really bad (piked). I can also do a flat tuck back lever for more than 15 seconds, so i dont wanna go back to that since it's too easy. What do u guys suggest I do???

Neal Winkler

Experiment and figure out the least amount of 3 second holds you need to progress.

You can also do reps. From a tuck position extend out into the straddle and back to tuck.

Samuel Carr

well in the book it says to move onto the next progression as long as u can do 3-5 second holds... and it also says to do holds til the total time adds up to 60 seconds. so with a 3 second hold, i'd need to do 20 sets

Blairbob

Bare in mind, if you are lowering into the straddle BL it is harder than doing it from a basket (inverted pike) because of TimeUnderTension. It takes a bit more time and if effectively an Embedded Back Lever if you lower from an invert hang or basket hang (which tends to be easier and faster to get into the BL position).

You could also try tucked inverted hang opening out to the straddled BL like Trianglechoke similar to what Trianglechoke suggested.

Steve Low suggested on PM something on the order of performing your 10 quality BL sets and filling the rest of the time by scaling down the progression and going back to a lower progression.

Samuel Carr

it's easier to extend into it rather than lower? I've been lowering into it, so maybe that makes it harder (i know it takes way longer since its hard to maintain control and go slowly). It seems like it'd be harder exerting enough force to extend your legs from a flat tuck. But okay i'll try that. I'll also try what steve low said. thanks

Blairbob

I used to think that extending from an inverted pike/basket was more difficult than lowering down but I think it was cause I never did them that way typically. Reverse cranks seems to be easier than back pulls.