This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No Equipment for Reverse Leg Lift

Started by Borja Rojano Broz 230952, January 18, 2017 · 25 Replies · 476 Views

Borja Rojano Broz 230952

Dear Coaches, 

 

Today I reach my first F2 step, the Straddle Reverse Leg Lift (SL/PE9). I just realised that I have no equipment in my gym to do this exercise. All I have is a bench a couple feet high. This was OK for the donkey kicks bu now my -pretty long- legs need to go down and the bench is not nearly high enough.

I do have a stall bar, so as a test, I tried the Stall Bar Reverse Leg Lift (SL/PE9) with 4 sets of two reps and I can handle it. 

What should I do? Is it possible to skip SL/PE7 and 8 and move to SL/PE9? Any alternatives you can think of?

Everett Carroll

Hey Borja,

I don't recommend skipping these. If possible, try working on these progressions outside of the gym. A countertop, table, or tall bench should work just fine. Send in a video of the setup you end up using if you have any doubts but we never recommend skipping progressions. 

Kai Ewert

I have used a sturdy table for these (was a bit surprised that it seemed I did not need to add weight to the other end of it, which I had considered).

Also, what setup did you use for the arch-ups and variations in F1? I was able to just turn around on the "roman chair" setup that I had used for these and that worked fine.

Last not least, you could improvise an uncomfortable version of the "back straps" available in the GB store with some webbing and padding (insulation foam or a yoga mat, e.g.) and use that on your stall bars.

Borja Rojano Broz 230952

@Kai Ewert and @Everett Carroll, thanks for your replies. I was using a bunch of stacked gym steps about 2 feet (60cm) high. That is enough for donkey kicks but definitely not enough for SL/PE9. 

I will try to come up with something in the gym, although people will look at me strangely :)

Borja Rojano Broz 230952
12 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

Last not least, you could improvise an uncomfortable version of the "back straps" available in the GB store with some webbing and padding (insulation foam or a yoga mat, e.g.) and use that on your stall bars.

How does one use the back straps for SL/PE9? :huh:

Leo Trinidad

yes its normal if people will look at you different in the gym @Borja Rojano Broz 230952 i get it all the time. btw, have you tried doing the alternative for reverse leg lift which is reverse leg lift on headstand position against a wall?

Borja Rojano Broz 230952
On 19/01/2017 at 1:05 PM, Leo Trinidad said:

yes its normal if people will look at you different in the gym @Borja Rojano Broz 230952 i get it all the time. btw, have you tried doing the alternative for reverse leg lift which is reverse leg lift on headstand position against a wall?

Headstand? As in, with your head and hands on the floor like a tripod?

Everett Carroll

Hey Borja,

Yes, head and hands on the floor with your legs straight, stacked directly over your hips. 

Kai Ewert

The headstand variation is an alternative for PE9, not PE7 and PE8 which Borja was originally asking about.

 

Nathan Harrington

I did these for the first time last evening, and it was also a challenge to find the right equipment. Is there any objection to doing this on a pullup bar? I wasn't able to quite get to an inverted hang since my rear end hits the bar, but perhaps it recruits some more shoulder strength than is desired.... I have also seen the strait arm with back to wall leg lifts use as a press to HS drill. I don't like the drill for that since it encourages a planche, but that would provide more range of motion than the headstand version.

Bottom line, I wonder in the absence of stall bars which alternative is the next best thing?

Everett Carroll

Hi Nathan,

Use Leo's suggestions from earlier in this thread and do these in a headstand against the wall. 

Mark Birbeck

Sorry to hijack this thread!

I'm getting some stall bars as part of a bit of work that is being done on our house, so whilst I was waiting I've been doing the headstand version of SL/PE9 that Leo and Everett have mentioned. However, after a couple of months on PE9 Level 9, the stall bars still aren't in, and I'm itching to move on. Is it possible to use the same technique (i.e., based on a headstand and using a wall) for SL/PE10?

It feels like it ought to be possible, even if it's a bit more difficult. But if there's no point, then obviously I'll just have to wait for the stall bars. (Perhaps I should increase the volume on PE9 whilst I'm waiting, or something like that?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any insights.

Everett Carroll

Hey Mark,

For SL/PE10, your best alternative is a pull-up bar with a strap, bar, or training partner behind it, blocking your back from moving behind the bar.

If those are not options for you right now, you can work on it without one of those things until the stall bars arrive. Just be sure that you are fighting to minimize the backward movement of your torso. 

Mark Birbeck

Thanks Everett. I do have a pull-up bar so I'll give it a try. Otherwise I might start with the headstand version and then switch when the stallbars come.

Thank-you again for your input!

Tanya Hill

Mark, let us know how the pull- up bar works out for you. :) 

Mark Birbeck
On 2017-6-6 at 1:15 AM, Tanya Hill said:

Mark, let us know how the pull- up bar works out for you. :) 

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for following up.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use my pull-up bar because there are too many other doorways nearby, which means I can't move my legs from side-to-side! And what is also annoying is that I thought I'd be able to use my pull-up bar to do MN/PE4 which I have just moved on to today, but the bar is way too close to the ground.

Luckily I've found that I can do MN/PE4 by hanging above the staircase (!) so at least I can move forward with that. ;) 

But there's a wall that stops me using this approach for SL/PE10, so I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do with that one. I tried doing the movement in a headstand position but pretty much toppled over when my legs got to a wide angle. So unless you and Everett have any more suggestions I guess I'm going to have to stick with SL/PE9 for even longer!

If there aren't really any other solutions until I get the stall bars, I wondered if it's worth updating the 'headstand' version of SL/PE9 in any way? Move away from the wall, perhaps? Make the movements slower? (By the way, I've already adopted the iM from SL/PE10.)

Thanks again for your tips.

All the best,

Mark

Tanya Hill

Mark! 

Glad to hear you on in Foundation Two with some of your training! 

I personally train from home most of my time and love getting creative. Glad you were able to find a way to do MN/PE4.

For SL/PE9 if you can go to the park where they have a kids play ground. I have done these on the ladder that the kids use to get to the top of the monkey bars. Its helpful to do this hanging vs. in a headstand because it kills your grip. 

SL/PE10 can also be done at the park with a high pull up bar. It will be a bit more of a challenge to not have bars to support your back but you can go slow and controlled. 

@Everett Carroll is a pure outdoor athlete and he may be able to recommend some of his creative ways at working these PE's. 

Send us videos of your creativity! ;)

Everett Carroll

Hey Mark, 

If you can find some place with a bar that allows you to train PE10, that would be best. If not, begin gradually increasing the reps for PE9 (still against wall) until the stall bars arrive. 

Benjamin Rost

Sorry if this has been answered...it was the only post I found searching for SL/PE9. How do I get into the position on the stall bars? The video doesn't demonstrate it. Could someone post a video link? Thanks. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Benjamin, it is very simple:

-stand in front of the stall bar 50 cm from it.

-perform a pike compression and then let yourself to "fall" into the stall bar with the upper back

-move the arms up into the shoulder extension and then grab one of the poles close to the hands.

rll.png

Mark Birbeck

Apologies to @Tanya Hill and @Everett Carroll but I thought I'd replied to thank you for your last advice...very rude of me.

So when you said 'go to the park' I slapped my forehead because it hadn't even occurred to me. I quickly found a couple of places nearby that work ok--as you said 'ladders to monkey bars'--and so a couple of times a week I nip down and do my SL/PE10 and MN/PE5. And a bonus is that I've also been able to start on pHS which had up until now been sitting there completely untouched.

This means I'm doing the pHS work completely separately from the rest of my HS work, just because of the location, but I'm assuming that's ok?

Anyway, thanks again for your input--it saved the day.

Benjamin Rost
On 9/1/2017 at 7:57 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Benjamin, it is very simple:

-stand in front of the stall bar 50 cm from it.

-perform a pike compression and then let yourself to "fall" into the stall bar with the upper back

-move the arms up into the shoulder extension and then grab one of the poles close to the hands.

Thanks! Between this and manna PE6 which I've been tackling it's going to be a long progression. 

Suzanna McGee
15 hours ago, Benjamin Rost said:

Thanks! Between this and manna PE6 which I've been tackling it's going to be a long progression. 

I actually found this one much more "fun" than manna PE6. The progress was fast. Maybe because I was super inspired because it could possibly help me with my future (far far future) press handstand. You'll be surprised, this one is a great one  :-) 

Nick Murray
4 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I actually found this one much more "fun" than manna PE6. The progress was fast. Maybe because I was super inspired because it could possibly help me with my future (far far future) press handstand. You'll be surprised, this one is a great one  :-) 

Agreed. These were the most fun out of the SL progressions. And I think @Alessandro Mainente should have a special section on the forum for all his drawings!

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Nick Murray said:

Agreed. These were the most fun out of the SL progressions. And I think @Alessandro Mainente should have a special section on the forum for all his drawings!

ahahahah this is due to rules of FIG courses in italy, you cannot have access to the video material or having the master slides, so you need to build up your ability with stickman!