This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Completed first TB session, and I have some questions

Started by Robert Lopez, January 16, 2017 · 8 Replies · 188 Views

Robert Lopez

I just finished my first Thoracic Bridge stretch session yesterday, following along with the video, and I had some questions:

1. Is the course meant to just continue to repeat the video each week until you get as good as the athletes in the video? And these stretches are enough to become an expert at the thoracic bridge, as demonstrated?

1a. Is a video all that comes with each stretch course? I do not see a list of each demonstrated exercise with the prescribed hold durations/sets/reps, included with the course, as is depicted in the "learn more" section of the stretches package.

2. What is a good substitute for stall bars, at conventional commercial gym (Powerhouse)? I plan on eventually installing some stall bars at my house, if I cannot find an adult gymnastics center that will take my money, but for right now I will be doing my course work at Powerhouse.

3. End of video, thoracic bridge, scaled down substitute? I do not even have close to the amount of wrist flexibility, shoulder, thoracic flexibility, etc. to complete a thoracic bridge with my feet up on a wall (no stall bars). The video didn't show a scaled down, substitute, so I just tried to do 4 sets of 20 seconds of thoracic bridges on the ground. Was this okay? I don't want to get injured trying to progress to this too quickly.

4. I completed my first video session, yesterday in the late afternoon, and this morning my upper and lower back (on the left sand right sides of my spine) are sore as hell. I don't feel injured, just really sore. Is this normal? I want to make sure that I don't break or injure my spine, trying to follow along too quickly. 

Sorry for any dumb questions. I am just really excited and want to make sure that I am doing the right things. I don't want to get injured and then set back in my GST. I love this stuff!

Thank you.

Nicholas Devlin

I also just finished my first session and have essentially the same concerns.

Everett Carroll

Hey Robert and Nicholas,

Great questions!

1) Yes, use this follow along video once per week and your shoulder mobility and thoracic bridge will steadily improve. 

2) For the elevated bridge work, any elevated surface like a bench, table, couch, etc., will do just fine. For the walks, you can walk your hands down a wall or any other flat surface. 

3) Scaling options and additional details are shown in the technique tip videos, found in your course library. Please also note that it is common to not be able to complete the entire TB series at first. Don't feel like you need to. The exercises in the beginning portion of the course will eventually prepare your body to get further and further along in the series. 

4) The degree of soreness you describe makes me think your intensity was too high for some or all of the stretches. You don't want to be so sore that you can't keep up with your weekly training schedule. Keep the intensity below a 5 out of 10 for every exercise. 

These are common questions and certainly not dumb :) It's always better to ask. 

Robert Lopez
28 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Robert and Nicholas,

Great questions!

1) Yes, use this follow along video once per week and your shoulder mobility and thoracic bridge will steadily improve. 

2) For the elevated bridge work, any elevated surface like a bench, table, couch, etc., will do just fine. For the walks, you can walk your hands down a wall or any other flat surface. 

3) Scaling options and additional details are shown in the technique tip videos, found in your course library. Please also note that it is common to not be able to complete the entire TB series at first. Don't feel like you need to. The exercises in the beginning portion of the course will eventually prepare your body to get further and further along in the series. 

4) The degree of soreness you describe makes me think your intensity was too high for some or all of the stretches. You don't want to be so sore that you can't keep up with your weekly training schedule. Keep the intensity below a 5 out of 10 for every exercise. 

These are common questions and certainly not dumb :) It's always better to ask. 

Thanks, Everett! This helps, as always!

Robert Lopez
On 1/16/2017 at 11:04 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Robert and Nicholas,

Great questions!

1) Yes, use this follow along video once per week and your shoulder mobility and thoracic bridge will steadily improve. 

2) For the elevated bridge work, any elevated surface like a bench, table, couch, etc., will do just fine. For the walks, you can walk your hands down a wall or any other flat surface. 

3) Scaling options and additional details are shown in the technique tip videos, found in your course library. Please also note that it is common to not be able to complete the entire TB series at first. Don't feel like you need to. The exercises in the beginning portion of the course will eventually prepare your body to get further and further along in the series. 

4) The degree of soreness you describe makes me think your intensity was too high for some or all of the stretches. You don't want to be so sore that you can't keep up with your weekly training schedule. Keep the intensity below a 5 out of 10 for every exercise. 

These are common questions and certainly not dumb :) It's always better to ask. 

Hi Everett, I also forgot to ask-- what kind of warm up should I be doing prior to starting any of the stretch videos? It doesn't feel like a good idea, jumping straight into a video, stretching cold muscles. Unless this is correct?

Also, is a TB with both feet on the ground supposed to be more difficult than having both feet elevated? I am trying to find a good progression, before jumping straight into having my feet up for TB, if there is a way to scale.

Thanks in advance!

Everett Carroll

Hey Robert,

I prefer a 5-10 minute cardiovascular warmup before stretching. You can go for a light jog, jumprope, do jumping jacks, etc. 

I don't suggest performing the TB with your feet on the floor. For beginners with tight upper backs and shoulders, performing a bridge on the floor can put unnecessary stress on the lower back. We want the arch to be through the thoracic region and elevated feet really helps with this.

If you are having trouble pressing up into the elevated TB, don't worry. At first, many beginners have trouble completing the entire series. Just do what you can for now and as you get stronger and more mobile, you will be able to complete more and more of the series.   

Christopher Chien

"1a. Is a video all that comes with each stretch course? I do not see a list of each demonstrated exercise with the prescribed hold durations/sets/reps, included with the course, as is depicted in the "learn more" section of the stretches package."

Hey Robert - I just started the Throaic Bridge stretch course too. The entire workout is too advanced for me. If you go to the course library, you can get a break down of each exercise with explanation just like during the Fundamentals package. 

Robert Lopez
39 minutes ago, Christopher Chien said:

"1a. Is a video all that comes with each stretch course? I do not see a list of each demonstrated exercise with the prescribed hold durations/sets/reps, included with the course, as is depicted in the "learn more" section of the stretches package."

Hey Robert - I just started the Throaic Bridge stretch course too. The entire workout is too advanced for me. If you go to the course library, you can get a break down of each exercise with explanation just like during the Fundamentals package. 

Hi Chris, thank you for your answer! Much appreciated. It's funny you say that about the TB course, I just finished watching the video for my second time, and it's already getting easier! It's crazy how quickly stretching and mobility improve, with a little TLC.

3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Robert,

I prefer a 5-10 minute cardiovascular warmup before stretching. You can go for a light jog, jumprope, do jumping jacks, etc. 

I don't suggest performing the TB with your feet on the floor. For beginners with tight upper backs and shoulders, performing a bridge on the floor can put unnecessary stress on the lower back. We want the arch to be through the thoracic region and elevated feet really helps with this.

If you are having trouble pressing up into the elevated TB, don't worry. At first, many beginners have trouble completing the entire series. Just do what you can for now and as you get stronger and more mobile, you will be able to complete more and more of the series.   

Thanks, Everett! You are always spot on at answering my questions. I appreciate it.

Everett Carroll

No problem at all Chris. Happy to help :)