Hello,
i recently purchased some of the courses (F1, H1, M1 and TB) and in spite of almost 10 years of capoeira experience, i was inmediately humbled by even some of the most basic exercises. Especially the topic of scapula position blew me away. I inmediately realized i've been compensating lack of shoulder flexion by retracting my scapula during handstands. I've been doing this actively for years
, and in my experience it seems to be fairly common in the capoeira world.
I'm still at the very first exercises of H1, but took a look at the videos/descriptions of all the future exercises in the library and noticed that during most (or all?) of the freestanding handstand exercises, the neck is extended and the athlete is looking at the floor. In capoeira you should look at your opponent at all times so you can react quickly to attacks, so handstands and simple cartwheel variations are practiced with the head in neutral position, looking at your opponent.
Does this change anything in the body allignment, scapular position, etc.? Anything to considerate here? Is it ok to perform the freestanding handstand exercises with the head in neutral position?
Cheers,
C.