This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE2 strength issue

Started by Jessica Webber, January 15, 2017 · 24 Replies · 414 Views

Jessica Webber

PE1 is easy for me but PE2 is currently impossibly hard.  I've read all the posts I could find on it and it seems the best advice to fit my situation is to start with the PE1 tripod and get my knees just hovering off my elbows.  I can't even do this though.  So instead of doing 12s of a head stand today I did 12 reps of trying to lift my knees off my elbows.  I can't get them off, but I can feel less pressure when I make the effort.  Should I keep at it in this way or is there a more effective way (e.g. walking feet up a wall or something)?  I know I'm going to be here for a long time but I want to make sure what I'm doing will eventually allow me to progress.  

Thanks

Pauline Taube

Hi Jessica,

Could you submit a form check of PE1 please? :)

Everett Carroll
22 hours ago, Jessica Webber said:

I did 12 reps of trying to lift my knees off my elbows.

Nice modification. You can try one at a time, alternating sides as well :) A spotter is of great help for this roadblock and of course, like Pauline said, form checking PE1 will also ensure you were ready to move on. 

Jessica Webber

HS1 PE1 Form Check

I did also try alternating one side at a time as Everett Carroll suggested. I still couldn't get the knee off the elbow.  Do you think trying one knee, then the other, then both would be better strength training than just working on both knees?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jessica,

I am unable to view your link. Please double check that your video has been uploaded correctly. 

We look forward to seeing it!

Kamil Lowczynski

I'm a beginner myself and just moved on to PE3. So keep in mind that my advice might be little off.

You suppose to have same amount of weight distributed on hands and head.

Make sure head and hands create equilateral triangle. If your head is further away from hands you have to separate hands more.

I go for position that makes my forearms perpendicular to the floor when i'm upside down.

Before getting there i noticed that PE2 requires almost exactly or exactly the same balance point as PE1.

As a way of getting your legs straightened out i would try to manipulate position of your torso so knees are lying very lightly on your elbows while in tripod position.

Try hollow body, a slight arch  go more upright, less upright and when it's right you will feel that you're not dragged to any side. When it feels like this you should hold this balance and slowly get your legs straightened out. Once this feels comfortable and you're used to being upside down with straight legs you shouldn't have problems with adjusting to proper form and controlled lift. If you will throw your legs to fast you will go over. To lift them with control you need to be stronger so adjust the speed.

BTW i have the same problem with PE3. because forearms are a base the triangle is smaller You need to be that much more comfortable. I already got advice so trying to give back :D

Good Luck

Leo Trinidad

good advice and key points by @Kamil Lowczynski. for PE 3 make sure that you have a solid sPL PE2. also make sure that you guys protract. contract your lats and stay tall.

Jessica Webber

Hopefully this link works:  HS1 PE1 + IM

 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Jessica,

Good work on the PE :) 

For the iM the goal is to hold the stick about shoulder width apart. Also I'd like to see that you elevate your shoulders (shrug up), and pull your ribs in like you're in a hollow body position.

Jessica Webber

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll rerecord with those modifications.

Peter DeLuca

I am working through PE1 myself.  The mobility piece will keep me here for awhile.

My hands are facing straight ahead instead of outward like Jessica.

Which way should my hands be setup?

Everett Carroll

Hi Peter,

Great question! Your fingers can be facing forward or turned out for this movement. Do what is comfortable for your wrists for this progression. 

Chad Moffitt

Hi Jessica,

I'm fairly new to this too, but-- I found the wall really useful in starting PE2 and then PE3 (both which felt impossible when I first tried them).  Having the wall there to spot me got rid of my fear of falling backward.

Winter Phoenix

Great suggestions on using the wall to build confidence and if you can use a spotter even better!

 

Jessica Webber
On January 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Jessica,

Good work on the PE :) 

For the iM the goal is to hold the stick about shoulder width apart. Also I'd like to see that you elevate your shoulders (shrug up), and pull your ribs in like you're in a hollow body position.

Hopefully this one's proper form: 

 

Pauline Taube

Good work, Jessica.

Try to avoid arching your back by pulling your ribs in more. I'd also like to see a bit more elevation of the shoulders :)

Keep working on it!

Thomas Dudley

Since we're on the subject - what is the recommend weight for HS1 PE1iM?

Darin Phoenix

Coach Sommer recommends using a 5lb bar as a minimum.

Thomas Dudley

Great to know. What does progression look like?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Thomas,

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. Would you mind being more specific?

Thomas Dudley

Sure. If I start HS1 PE1:iM with a 5lb bar, would I ever increase the weight? Say if I had good form and could handle the time no problem would I want to increase the load, or is the point of this more to get to the recommended weight with good form and move on once HS1 PE1 is mastered?

Everett Carroll

Hey Thomas,

For HS/PE1>iM:

1) Always train these with approximately a shoulder width grip. Begin with a light weight and build to the ROM demonstrated in the exercise videos.

2) Add a small amount of weight and repeat the process until you can perform the iMs with proper ROM and a minimum of 5lbs. 

Jessica Webber

For whatever reason I'm having trouble quoting from a previous post, so...

Pauline Taube wrote:

"Try to avoid arching your back by pulling your ribs in more. I'd also like to see a bit more elevation of the shoulders "

I did this already, and I recall doing it as much as I could.  So now I'm confused.  Are you saying that I'm lacking mobility and if I keep at it I'll be able to shrug more?  (that seems unlikely) Or are you saying I'm still not doing it quite right?  (which seems more likely but I'm not getting what modifications to make next)

This is off the original topic and should probably move to the form check forum, but before I post another video (in the form check forum), I kinda need to know what to change.  Can anyone (not necessarily Pauline Taube) maybe phrase differently what I'm doing wrong?  

Thanks to P.T. and thanks in advance to anyone else who jumps in.  The difficulty of training with online help is you can't just reach out and grab someone's arm and say "move it this way".   If we were in the same room we'd probably resolve this in 20 seconds.  But we're not so I appreciate the patience of coaches here when things aren't clear. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Jessica,

To start, push the weight high, shrugging your shoulders up to your ears. This is the elevation Pauline mentioned. Next, squeeze your core. Think of drawing your belly button to your spine as well as working to keep your ribs from sticking out. Then lean forward, pulling the bar behind your head. Give these tips a shot and then post another form check!

Pauline Taube

Nice explanation from Everett, hope this cleared things up. Think of a seated hollow body hold when pulling your belly to your spine :)