This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Building towards straight-arm hanging exercises?

Started by David Rosenberg, October 27, 2016 · 16 Replies · 496 Views

David Rosenberg

For the manna steps that involve hanging from a bar, should the shoulders be kept "packed" down, or relaxed and elevated up?  Or something else?  Also, what about internally vs externally rotating the arms?  I'm asking because PE/6 is putting a lot of weird stress in the shoulder capsule area, and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.  Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi David,

You want to relax the shoulder. If they are up by your ears, then they are in the right spot. In a dead hang, your shoulders should naturally find a good position. You definitely don't want to internally rotate them. 

Can you please post a form check for MN/PE4?

David Rosenberg

Hi - here are my manna PE/4, PE/5, and attempt at PE/6.  This is the closest simulation I can find to stall bars. Thanks!

 

Everett Carroll

Hey David,

Your form for all 3 PE's looks good to me. If you feel that stress in the shoulder still, I suggest seeing a physio. If necessary, stop training these variations until you consult with them. Don't train through the pain. 

For the iM, be sure to curl into it, just like a Jefferson curl, and keep your chin tucked in the hang. If you also feel pain or stress in your shoulder from the iM, avoid it for now.

David Rosenberg

Thanks Everett!  I wasn't having any pain, just felt slightly sketchy.  But was already feeling better when I shot the video.  I'll just go slowly for now.  No pain or stress in the iM or PE4 and PE5.  

 

Mikkel Ravn

I too felt a lot of discomfort and stress in the shoulders training PE6. It went away over the course of several months; I think it's the body telling you that it has (literally) never experienced this type of shoulder joint loading before. So, take it easy to begin with.

David Rosenberg

Thanks @Mikkel Ravn! That's comforting.

Bas Albinus

I was wondering the same but more in terms of protract or retract in dead hangs?!
Completely relaxed it seems the shoulders tend to protract?! Is this good or bad and should be corrected?

Btw, I guess Everett just missed it as your video stops there, but I think it's important to get back up all the way out of the jefferson curl.

Alessandro Mainente

Completely relaxed in a dead hang position, the sensation of protraction it is due to tight internal rotator.

David Rosenberg

I've previously asked about "sketchiness" I feel when attempting the more difficult straight arm hanging exercises.  I have had previous shoulder dislocations, but not in several years.  MN/PE4 and MN/PE5 are fine, but for MN/PE6, it doesn't feel safe enough.   I've also arrived as SL/PE11, and it's the same issue.  I've made up some substitutes (see below), but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for this. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey David,

I merged threads to keep all of this together. Were you ever able to visit with a physio about the shoulder pain? It will of course be best to perform these hanging on stall bars but both of these substitutions are better than skipping the progression. As long as you don't feel the discomfort during the straight arm variation, I suggest using that one. 

David Rosenberg

Finally able to do these without feeling too sketchy in my shoulders.  How does this look?

@Everett Carroll: I was seeing a physical therapist a lot about my shoulder as I was recovering from a dislocation several years ago.  The shoulder has been getting progressively better and feeling more stable since then.  

Everett Carroll

Nice work David! Looks great. Also happy to hear that your shoulder is getting better. 

Robert Cullom

I also have had trouble with this manna work. I had been  doing leg raises on my own prior to beginning gymnastic strength training and found that if I bent my elbows at 90 degrees -keeping the shoulders tight-scapulas slightly depressed-- it took the pressure of things in the shoulder.  Doing it with a dead hang does bring out some pain. I have chronic shoulder pain from a small supraspinatus tear aggravated a year ago in a surf wipe out--prior to starting gst. (been checked out by MD with MRI) I have been able to get through most of Foundation 1 and excited about the improvements. I am not sure whether to try to keep the dead hang position for manna work and see if I adapt or modify. Worried that modifying will affect other work down the road. BTW I do have reasonable strength and can do 4 sets of 10 pull ups but avoid complete dead hang with most things except for a second or so at end range ie of a  pull up.

Any insight appreciated, Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

HI Robert, the equipment that you are using affects the pain? for example, my stallbar has the last pole with one pole more outside and the other more inside. have you tried to use the outside one?

Robert Cullom

Alessandro, I don't have stallbars. I am using a regular pull up bar or the rings. When using a stallbar set up do you get a little support to your back? I don't have a lot of hamstring flexibility that may play a role as well.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Robert, yes for sure. the less it is the compression the more you have to pull with the arms.