This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

1x200% mastery as a warm up question

Started by Michail Michailidis, January 15, 2017 · 33 Replies · 1,303 Views

Michail Michailidis

@Alessandro Mainente I have one question. You mentioned the following in the public forum:

Rows are a basic strength when you have to work to a minimum of 5x15r,when you reach that they will become a part of warm up with 25-30 reps in a row.

I was wondering whether this should be done once we finish with mastery on all progressions of the different rows variation in Foundation or for each progression we pass use the previous one 30 reps as warm up ?

Thanks a lot.

Everett Carroll
17 hours ago, Michail Michailidis said:

for each progression we pass use the previous one 30 reps as warm up ?

I make sure I can do it per progression like you said here. 

Michail Michailidis
3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

I make sure I can do it per progression like you said here. 

@Everett Carroll do you use it for all the warm up sets. I am asking because I know that we should be using it to assure that we have achieved mastery with an element. However would not be to much as a warm up set. Especially if we are only one element forward (meaning warm up set with PE1 and work sets of PE2)

Just wondering.

Everett Carroll

If you are on MN/PE2 and 30r of MN/PE1 feels too taxing for a warmup then using the warmup specifications provided in the introductory articles is just fine. Your pre-strength and warm-up routine will gradually become more advanced. For now, when you're warm, try out MN/PE1 and be sure you can perform 30r. If not, then it may be worth revisiting. 

Michail Michailidis

Ok @Everett Carroll Thanks a lot. Also one last thing I am not sure. Is the warm up for all the elements at the beginning of the workout or is it better to perform each mastered PE before the PE I am know.

To make it clear lets say I am performing upper body and I am working the following:

HBP/PE2 - RC/PE3 - sPL/PE5

the warm up should look like this: HBP/PE1 1x200% - RC/PE1 1X200% - sPL/PE4 1X200% and then start the workout

or like this 

HBP/PE1 1x200% - HBP/PE2 - RC/PE1 1X200% - RC/PE3 - sPL/PE4 1X200%- sPL/PE5

Thanks a lot for the help

Andrew Long

I have been doing the 200%  of previous exercise as a warm up only for the first week of the next exercise then switching to something more similar to the recommended warm up.  

for example if this week I moved from SL pe4 to Sl pe5 then I would do SLpe1 1x30  SLpe3 1x10 SL pe4 1x200% in the warm up before i start the main exercises and then the week after that I would do SLpe1 1x100%  SLpe3 1x100%  SLpe4 1x100%  (The other previous exercises % changes depending on what level I am at or how difficult I find it  in general)

Randeep Walia

I don't know if this is know part of an official Foundation recommendation, but 30 reps of a row is way too much for a warm-up and I would not recommend it (nor do it).

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Randeep Walia said:

30 reps of a row is way too much for a warm-up and I would not recommend it (nor do it).

Hi Randeep,

1x30r of a previously mastered row progression should feel moderately difficult at most.

Kai Ewert

I don't think the 200% of previous element makes sense as a warmup for the immediately following element. 

It does make sense as another check of mastery in my experience. 

It also works for elements that are many progressions earlier than what you are working. Even then, I feel that some elements at 200% would make more sense as a finisher than as a warmup (100% of a mastery set or the numbers suggested in the link make more sense for warmup in my mind for something like HBR, PPP, even pushups and rows if done with nice ROM). 

Étienne Lajeunesse
On 15/01/2017 at 6:50 PM, Everett Carroll said:

The second scenario would be too much. https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/

Hi Everett, 

Why is it 21/15/9? And as I understand, we have to pick 2-3 mastered progressions that match the number of reps?  So, there's some progressions with only 21 and 9 reps, is it that?  What if it's an isometric of 60 sec?

And does it include the elements in tumbling 1?

Thanks :)

Everett Carroll

Hey @Étienne Lajeunesse , 

Not quite. Let's use your HBP exercises from Upper Body as an example and say you are currently working towards mastering HBP/PE3 (Pseudo Planche Push-ups). In that case, one option could simply be to perform 21 repetitions of HBP/PE1 and 15 reps of HBP/PE2.

The main idea I'm trying to convey is that you can perform 21 reps of a previously mastered movement even though those aren't the mastery rep schemes. There is a fair amount of freedom with warming up so play with it, find out what you prefer, and be sure to include movements that were tough for you to master. 

For isometrics, I prefer to do a single set of double mastery. For example, a 120s hollow body hold or a 120s forearm plank.

Use a similar structure for T1, working previously mastered progressions and even the diagnostic section for warmup. 

For all of the warm up movements you choose, be sure to add in their mobility exercises as well. I prefer to double the time or reps for those as well. For example, 20r German Arm Swing and 10r per arm Xiaopeng Forward. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Thanks for the clarification @Everett Carroll I'll plan my warm ups around that now!  I will play a bit with it and send a follow up later :)

Leigh Kettle

After being directed to this topic from a recent post Can I jump in on this thread and ask the following as I'm struggling to plan a warm up that's not taking too long and affecting my main workout 

I tried the above protocol and my warm up ended up taking about 25 minutes and took slot out of before my meet b workout 

for example when I do upper and core on same day if I followed what is outlined above my warm uup would look something like this 

5mins jump rope 

Upper body 

21 elevated push ups

10 cat to cow 

15 normal push ups 

Xiapoengs x 10 each arm 

Elevated rows 30 

1 min lat stretch 

 

Core warm up 

120 secs tucked hollow body hold

10 table rocks 

60 tucked rocks 

30 side over arches 

30 elbow twists 

30 tuck ups 

10 stiff legged windmill 

as you can see this would take a long time and exhaust me particularly the core work and I feel it would affect my performance during my actual workout . And sometimes I do lower body on the same day as core and upper so my warm up would take even longer 

I read warm up should be around 5 mins 10mins maximum - how is this possible taking the above into account 

am I missing something here or any suggestions would be greatly received 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse
22 minutes ago, Leigh Kettle said:

After being directed to this topic from a recent post Can I jump in on this thread and ask the following as I'm struggling to plan a warm up that's not taking too long and affecting my main workout 

I tried the above protocol and my warm up ended up taking about 25 minutes and took slot out of before my meet b workout 

for example when I do upper and core on same day if I followed what is outlined above my warm uup would look something like this 

5mins jump rope 

Upper body 

21 elevated push ups

10 cat to cow 

15 normal push ups 

Xiapoengs x 10 each arm 

Elevated rows 30 

1 min lat stretch 

 

Core warm up 

120 secs tucked hollow body hold

10 table rocks 

60 tucked rocks 

30 side over arches 

30 elbow twists 

30 tuck ups 

10 stiff legged windmill 

as you can see this would take a long time and exhaust me particularly the core work and I feel it would affect my performance during my actual workout . And sometimes I do lower body on the same day as core and upper so my warm up would take even longer 

I read warm up should be around 5 mins 10mins maximum - how is this possible taking the above into account 

am I missing something here or any suggestions would be greatly received 

 

Hi Leigh,

Maybe you can switch the previous progressions into different days?  Thanks to @Everett Carroll for the idea.

In my warm-up I would do :

5min skipping rope,

5min general limbering

The rest is elements.

Let's say you're at HBP PE5 and your training upperbody twice a week, you could do - day 1 PE1, day 2 PE2, day 3 PE3, day 4 PE4.  Then, for the reps - 21xPE1, 21xPE2, 15xPE3, 9xPE4.  I scale the iMs too depending on with progression I'm currently at.

This way, your warm-up time will drop.

Hope it helps :)

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi guys,

I want to add that warm up should not be fixed. You should warm up what needs to be warmed up. It will definitely depend on your needs, time availability, equipment accessibility, etc. 

Warm up should not only consist the previous exercise and you must never overlook your mobility. :) 
Lastly, it shouldn't feel like a workout or additional work that will make you tired for your day's training. 

Leigh Kettle
1 hour ago, Leo Trinidad said:

stly, it shouldn't feel like a workout or additional work that will make you tired for your day's training. 

Thanks leo

What I was doing was definitely feeling like a workout and fatiguing me for my session . But I don't see how doing 120 sec hollow holds will ever not fatigue me for my session :-/

1 hour ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Leigh,

Maybe you can switch the previous progressions into different days?  Thanks to @Everett Carroll for the idea.

In my warm-up I would do :

5min skipping rope,

5min general limbering

The rest is elements.

Let's say you're at HBP PE5 and your training upperbody twice a week, you could do - day 1 PE1, day 2 PE2, day 3 PE3, day 4 PE4.  Then, for the reps - 21xPE1, 21xPE2, 15xPE3, 9xPE4.  I scale the iMs too depending on with progression I'm currently at.

This way, your warm-up time will drop.

Hope it helps :)

 

Thanks etienne

really appreciate your help

it just seemed I was perhaps trying to cover too much in a warm up that was fixed but as I've just seen leo mention it may be a good idea not to have a fixed warm up each day 

thanks again 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi guys,

I want to add that warm up should not be fixed. You should warm up what needs to be warmed up. It will definitely depend on your needs, time availability, equipment accessibility, etc. 

Warm up should not only consist the previous exercise and you must never overlook your mobility. :) 
Lastly, it shouldn't feel like a workout or additional work that will make you tired for your day's training. 

Hi Leo,

I still like to have a structure in my training and having these elements I can work on in my warm up keeps 1) working and refining them and 2)to known exactly what I will do.  This way, I don't lose time over thinking what to do and it feels I really work on everything I do.

It just me! 

But I understand your point and I appreciate your help :)

Leigh Kettle

I'm the same Etiene I work better with structure . I remember during my calisthenics training some guys would laugh at me having a structure I trained to as they would just do what they felt like on the day. I tried this for a couple of weeks but it wasn't for me - each to their own tho. 

Would much prefer every day I train to know what my warm up was going to consist of not only So I don't waste time overthinking what I should be doing each day but also so i can keep some consistency to certain elements to help me progress in them 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Yeah @Leigh Kettle!

And complementing this, doing different elements every other days, makes the warm-up slightly different than the last one! So we have an half and half of structure and unfixed warm-up.  That's how I see it!

Everett Carroll
8 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

I want to add that warm up should not be fixed. You should warm up what needs to be warmed up. It will definitely depend on your needs, time availability, equipment accessibility, etc. 

Warm up should not only consist the previous exercise and you must never overlook your mobility. :) 
Lastly, it shouldn't feel like a workout or additional work that will make you tired for your day's training. 

Way to hit on these points, Leo. I couldn't agree more. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Leo Trinidad and @Everett Carroll,

I want to come back to the unfixed warm-up.  Like I posted to you Leo, I like to structure everything I do and having fixed exercises I can switch between days helps me in my workouts.

Saying that a warm-up should not be fixed, can you still add a structure to that to make it easier?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Use the rotation like we discussed earlier in the thread, Etienne. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
16 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Use the rotation like we discussed earlier in the thread, Etienne. 

Yeah, that's what I do, but isn't it a kind of fixed cycle? Or is it, to you, good enough to call it an unfixed warm-up?