This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Static vs dynamic strength training

Started by Katherine Zodiaco, January 14, 2017 · 5 Replies · 181 Views

Katherine Zodiaco

Hello Forum,

I've got a random question and thought with all the knowledge here someone might have an answer for me:

I'm wondering what effects static holds vs dynamic movements have on strength and mobility.  My entire athletic career has been about moving to build strength; lift heavier, move faster.  How does building strength through static holds differ from building strength through dynamic movements?  

Thank you,

Kathy

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Katherine Zodiaco,

Static holds will build strength in your soft tissues enough for you to go through much more advanced dynamic movements. 

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi @Leo Trinidad,

I guess I'm wondering while holding positions is difficult it doesn't feel like I'm working out. If I can do sets of toes to bar isn't that a "better" workout than static tuck holds for 45 seconds?

Yes, there's my question - what do static holds do that dynamic movements don't. From your response, Leo, it sounds like static holds primarily work soft tissues and dynamic movements work something else? And that soft tissue strength will lead to increased overall strength?  (Gymnasts are insanely dense and strong from the inside out whereas bodybuilders to me seem to be wearing a bodysuit of muscles - like a mascot).

Also, I wonder if the holding and soft tissue development lead to the control over their bodies that gymnasts have?

Jin Liu

Hi Katherine, 

My experience is that in dynamic movements your muscles are constantly contracting and relaxing, vs in static holds, you keep your muscle engaged (most likely in a position where the resistance is the highest, like an L sit) throughout the holds. It really builds endurance and control, and could make your dynamic movements easier. For example, practicing L sit or V holds can definitely make toe to bar easier. Dynamic movements also strengthen muscles for sure. But momentum can very often mask strength deficit. Static holds or very slow movements reveal that. So I think both moving and holding are essential in training. I'm no expert, and I don't know much about static holds in soft tissue development. What i could think of is that people who are very good at handstand (whether holding a HS for an extended period of time, or doing a ton of press to HS) have very thick and strong wrists (soft tissue)..

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi @Jin Liu,

Thanks for your response. What you wrote makes sense to me. 

Suzanna McGee
20 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

For example, practicing L sit or V holds can definitely make toe to bar easier.

@Jin Liu, thank you for this!!! (I know I am off topic here, but I just cannot get my MN/PE6 to touch my toes to the bar… I will work on some extra L-sits and V-holds and stuff… Let's see if this will be the "secret"  :-D )