This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Protraction check

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 14, 2017 · 6 Replies · 176 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

during any of my plank / push up / Scap shrug work I'm always trying to protract as hard as I can something that has always seemed quite difficult for me to do . If we compare the pics of me here (my current protraction maximum) to the guys at gb they seem to have much more of a roundness to there protraction. Is this something that will come as I progress through the course or is it down to genetics playing there part here . Btw I've just started  the thoracic series although am I correct in suggesting this works more on thoracic extension than flexion ? 

Your input would be much appreciated as seeing the roundness of these guys here is the kind of form I'm aiming for 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Leigh Kettle,

You have a good protraction. :) Yes, as you progress further, your range of motion will change. Refinement is never ending. In my experience, decreasing the amount of volume of doing protraction made my range of motion less than before.

Leigh Kettle

Hey Leo 

Thank you for your reply. 

i will keep working it of course 

thank you

Leigh 

Andrew Long

A lot of the 'roundness' in those pictures is not simply from protraction but also thoracic flexion.  it is common for people to round the spine more to achieve the illusion of more scapular protraction.  in saying that they still have a great degree of protraction as well.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks andrew

this makes sense . I literally feel as tho I cannot press the ground away any more.

regards 

Leigh  

 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Leigh,

If you don't mind me jumping in...

I think your form is great, and that is what I am currently shooting for. I also understand your question about the roundness and wanted to throw my thoughts out there because I have thought a lot about that but am not quite sure if I am right. 

Here are my thoughts...

The protraction may be good in some one, but those other components for roundness might be from the details at the mid thoracic spine on down to the toes? For example, I think those with strong protraction PLUS excellent planche form also have the following:

1) Extremely strong core from that united wall of muscle connecting shoulder blades, to ribs, to pelvis (probably a minimum of Foundation 2 or 3,

2) Well opened hip flexors with solid PPT, (I would assume they would have good proficiency in the final stretches of front split stretch series, as well as,

3) Good ankle plantarflexion (probably a solid elevated seiza mobility)

This is my guess, would love to talk with the coaches more about this.

Because I noticed when any of those are broken down, it doesn't matter how protracted the scapula are... it will look flat

 Example, the dorsiflexed toes, or the piked hips from tight hip flexors or weak core will elevate the lower half of the body therefore reducing that roundness in planche lean or PPP's; even if there is a strong protraction. Sorry, not sure if this is all correct, but these are the thoughts that have been running through my mind while training.

And I am currently obsessed with improving planche leans over the last few months; and yours are very inspiring Leigh!

 

Leigh Kettle
13 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Hi Leigh,

If you don't mind me jumping in...

I think your form is great, and that is what I am currently shooting for. I also understand your question about the roundness and wanted to throw my thoughts out there because I have thought a lot about that but am not quite sure if I am right. 

Here are my thoughts...

The protraction may be good in some one, but those other components for roundness might be from the details at the mid thoracic spine on down to the toes? For example, I think those with strong protraction PLUS excellent planche form also have the following:

1) Extremely strong core from that united wall of muscle connecting shoulder blades, to ribs, to pelvis (probably a minimum of Foundation 2 or 3,

2) Well opened hip flexors with solid PPT, (I would assume they would have good proficiency in the final stretches of front split stretch series, as well as,

3) Good ankle plantarflexion (probably a solid elevated seiza mobility)

This is my guess, would love to talk with the coaches more about this.

Because I noticed when any of those are broken down, it doesn't matter how protracted the scapula are... it will look flat

 Example, the dorsiflexed toes, or the piked hips from tight hip flexors or weak core will elevate the lower half of the body therefore reducing that roundness in planche lean or PPP's; even if there is a strong protraction. Sorry, not sure if this is all correct, but these are the thoughts that have been running through my mind while training.

And I am currently obsessed with improving planche leans over the last few months; and yours are very inspiring Leigh!

 

Very interesting read ryan

im struggling with certain tightness throughout my body from years of neglect so I knew I'd struggle with alot of the positions (though maybe not as many as I do lol ) and what you are saying makes sense to me and my struggles 

i just wanna get everything bang on so when I see differences in my own form it makes me question why 

thank you for kind words Man

all the best in your training and I'm sure if you drilling  the planche lean you gonna have it nice too man 

Leigh