This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Oil for cooking: are these types good?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 14, 2017 · 4 Replies · 115 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys!

Since in lesson two it is stated that oilve oil is not the best choice for cooking foods, I was searching for other types. coconot is a good one, however I was looking for other ones. 

I went into a bio market, and I saw these types:

- avocado

- pumpkin seed

- linseed oil

- chia seed

- hemp oil

all of them are organic and "cold pressed".

Another type I found is the peanut seed oil.

Which one of these are the most favourable? All of them are good or should avoid some of them for cooking?

Thank you all!

Alessandro

Piotr Ochocki

Don't use oils in high heat cooking, temp+oxygen will destroy good fatty acids (monounsaturated) and antioxidants in them (if you've got really proper oil that actually had them to start with) and potentially turn those fatty acids into toxic ones.

For frying, etc. coconut (good quality, not hydrogenated), butter (look for quality one, clarified is better for high temp).

Udo Erasmus in his book says that peanut may be infected with fungus and potentially bad to our health.

Hemp, lineseed, chia are worth looking more into for their 'good' content.

Julia Quigley

I'm not sure in which lesson, but I'm pretty sure somewhere Jeff says to avoid most seed oils.

Your best bets for cooking fats are high quality butter, coconut oil, and animal fats (lard and tallow from pastured pigs or cattle, respectfully). 

Personally, I almost exclusively use butter from grass fed cows. Sometimes coconut oil. And I often use olive oil (after I've cooked the food). 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

@Piotr Ochocki and @Julia Quigley,   thank you for your replies! :) very clear!

Jeff Serven

Poitr! Nice.