This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front stretch personal mobility question

Started by Anthony Del Balso, January 13, 2017 · 3 Replies · 123 Views

Anthony Del Balso

Hi GST

I'm new to the stretch series, and have started wth front stretch. I have questions on a couple exercises.

Hurdler stretches. 

I'm using the scaled method by sitting on a block. What I struggle with is my side leg, and a cramp which I get in the crease of my hip, at my side. This happens in both sides, and the farther back I put the leg, the worse it gets. I have to stop the stretch, and arch my back to get the cramp to release, then try to move slowly back into the stretch. Do you have any suggestions to prevent this?

FYI, recently I tend to experience foot, calf, and shin cramps (mostly at night, not while working out). I take Mg and K daily and it helps, but doesn't completely eliminate it.

For the wall stretch, vertical lunge straight leg. I am unable to get into the starting position. I can straighten my right leg, but only with a significant twist in my hips. On the other side, my left leg has a big bend from my inflexibility.   Should I skip that one for a spell until my mobility increases from the other stretches, and add it in once I can achieve proper form with a straight leg? Is there some other scaling method?

Thanks,

Anthony

Alessandro Mainente

Hi anthony, it is the hip flexors that actually it is trying to stretch more the hamstring. I have the same problem when I do not warm up properly and the tissue are too much tight. you can evaluate to bend a bit the leg at the beginning and move on by manipulating the intensity of the cramp as a primal factor to increase the range of motion.

Anthony Del Balso

Sorry, perhaps I was rude.

I don't understand the response from Allessandro. 

 

 

 

Craig Copeland

Anthony:

Regarding your vertical lunge straight leg question: I believe that if keep your knee slightly bent and, over time and over multiple front split sessions, work to straighten it while also working to keep your torso upright, you might see progress.  I believe that was a suggestion made by a forum coach that I read not too long ago.

It was likely a suggestion made by Alessandro, who is both exceptionally helpful and exceptionally knowledgeable, especially when requests are made politely.