This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Alternatively Exercises

Started by Oliver Völker, January 13, 2017 · 10 Replies · 179 Views

Oliver Völker

Hello,

first of all, please forgive my bad english.

I do the F1 program. I´ve just one leg and do my workout without my prothesis. 

Now i´ve a few questions:

What exercises could i do alternatively for

1. Stiff Leg Windmill

2. Standing Hip Circle

3. Jefferson Curl

Thank you for reply.

 

Best 

Oli

Everett Carroll

Hey Oli,

Instead of stiff leg windmills, try a seated windmill performed in a seated straddle:

-Sit on a yoga block in a seated straddle (pancake) position.

-Copy the same arm/shoulder rotation as the exercise video and twist to the side, keeping the weight stacked. 

-If the weight is in your right hand, you will twist towards the weight and reach your left hand towards your right leg. 

Let me know if you need a visual and I can post a video :)

For the standing hip circles:

-Perform these supported, using a wall, counter, table, etc., for assistance. 

Jefferson Curls:

-Will it be possible for you to perform the straddle-ups with the prosthesis on? If so, then the Jefferson Curls would also be fine using the prosthesis. If not then we will need to come up with a modification by the time you master MN/PE1.

Please let us know your thoughts on these modifications. If you think they'll work, you can post videos to this thread. @Jeffrey Bittner @Tanya Hill Do you have any other suggestions? 

 

Si Hoang

Can I just say that you're a bad ass Oliver! All the best in your training mate!:)

Oliver Völker

Hi Everett,

thank you for reply.

The modification sounds good. I will give it a try and i´m sure it works.

I cant´t do the exercises with the prothesis on. I will come back, when i reach the straddle up and the Jefferson Curl.

Yours

Oli

Oliver Völker

Hi Si Hoang,

Sure you can, i hope, you mean that positively :).

All the best for you too.

Best

Oli

 

Ryan Bailey
5 hours ago, Oliver Völker said:

3. Jefferson Curl

 

One alternative:

For myself, I would not have Jefferson Curl as a current focus.

#1 focus would be undergoing everything to make sure the one leg is not overused while building the strength through pike range with the GB courses.  

I recommend Front Split stretch series for ankle work and pike stretching, especially building up to the single leg pike. It took me >18 months to build up the connective tissues in the deep single leg pike stretch that is found in the series; now being able to hold the stretch without hand support on floor. This 1-2 year process building up the bottom range of the single leg pike feels similar to a single leg Jefferson curl, so this is not a movement to jump into... if ever.

Oliver Völker

Hi Ryan,

thank you for your advice.

I´m interrested in doing the stretch series. I will do this exercise, when i reach this step.

Many Greetings

Oli

Tanya Hill

Oli,

Your headed in the right direction. @Everett Carroll has some excellent pointers. If you don't mind me asking, is your full leg prothesis or is it from the knee down? 

- Possibly kneeling on a box to do the Jefferson curls and the hip circles can also be done kneeling. 

We are here to help, so definitely reach out for any questions you may have. 

Best Wishes, Tanya 

Oliver Völker

Hello Tanya,

it is a full leg prothesis. The hip circles be done kneeling is a good idea. 

The Jefferson Curls on knees is critical but i will give it a try.

It´s great in the forum! You are so helpful.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes

Oli

Jon Douglas

I like the idea of kneeling JC; I think that may have some potential in other situations too. More on this after some experiments.

Oliver Völker

Hi Jon,

Ok, thank you for your opinion.

Best

Oli